Aruba or Barbados?

Aug 28th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Aruba or Barbados?

My fiance and I have never traveled to the Caribbean and are having a major problem deciding between The House, Barbados and Bucuti Beach, Aruba. Both are well in our price range (in terms of room rate), therefore allow for us to spend freely on activities, meals and cocktails during our late October honeymoon. We really cannot make a decision! We like the modern decor of both and struggle with reading a variety of reviews, as well as not knowing which island will suit us best! We enjoy snorkeling, although we are both beginners (only having experienced in Mexico); great food, drinks, service and place to explore without going to far! We do not like gambling or "shows." We are getting down to the wire...Any advice out there is so much appreciated!
Adrienne
Aug 28th, 2009, 02:09 PM

Barbados is by far better than aruba,i have never stayed at The House Barbados,so i cant give a review on that,me and my wife are staying on the west coast in september,we have book a nice villa for $840usd per week with free car we found this deal on perfectplaces.com I think this is the best offer for the 15years i was comming to the caribbean.
Aug 28th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Aruba has a wreck of a WW II German freighter which has become a reef and is popular with snorkelers. In addition there are many good restaurants. Aruba is a small island with friendly people and exploring it is easy. You can rent a 4x4 and take off. The beaches are shallow, clear and calm, it seldom rains and its always pretty windy so that acts to keep you cool even when it pretty warm. If you like shopping Aruba that too. It has alot of pluses really. If you wnat a lush Caribbean island then Barbados would be better as Aruba is pretty arid though personally I think it has a beauty all its own. I've been to both BTW. I don't think you will be disappointed with either choice.
Aug 28th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Mrknowall, thank you for your response! Should I be concerned about the weather in Barbados in late October? I have heard conflicting reports. I have heard that it is the rainy season, but I have also heard that it is still sunny most of the time? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Aug 28th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Jacketwatch, Thank you also! Do you have any input on the weather of either location in late October?
Aug 28th, 2009, 04:59 PM

Here is a great website for world weather:
www.weatherbase.com
Aug 28th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jacket!
Aug 29th, 2009, 04:38 AM

Adrienne,
Aruba is quite Americanized, while Barbados has more of an authentic Caribbean flavor, as well as being a more lush green island with a wealth of sightseeing, beaches, restaurants. IMO you can do better than The House on Barbados. The House is a pricier "sexed up" section of Tamarind Cove Hotel, a fairly average resort. For similar money you can stay at Coral Reef Club, one of the class acts in the Caribbean. Family owned for nearly 60 years (and the caring shows), modernized, gorgeous grounds, nice beach, wade-in snorkeling, fine dining. See www.coralreefbarbados.com
Aug 29th, 2009, 04:40 AM

p.s. For first-timers, Barbados is a wonderfully varied island with at least some of everything that the islands have to offer, except for a volcano.
Aug 29th, 2009, 06:34 AM

The weather is good in October always warm all year round dispite the rainy season October is least rainfall.
Aug 29th, 2009, 07:02 AM

Your honeymoon falls during hurricane season. Aruba is less likely to see that type of weather.
We love both islands. Aruba is arid and desert like. Not lush like most caribbean islands. It is clean and the people are very friendly.
We have had wonderful snorkelin experiences in Aruba.
Barbados is more like the typical Caribbean island. More lush. You are more likely to encounter some rain at that time of year in Barbados.
Aug 29th, 2009, 01:05 PM

People go to Barbados to enjoy its beaches and food. I admire its well maintained colonial buildings, as well. You can expect some rain in October, but you are getting to the end of the rainy season. Don't let that stop you from going! They have a very high standard of living and it is one of my more favorite islands.
Aug 30th, 2009, 04:02 PM

I must tell you neither has good snorkeling!! There are a few spots in Barbados if you take a snorkel/sail trip ($75-$85/person for 6/7 hrs. with light lunch on a 38-45ft. boat that takes a maximimum of 20 guests and makes 2 stops of 45 minutes each to snorkel tour you will enjoy yourselves. Barbados is lush tropical where Aruba is flat, dersert-like, so you have more opportunity to explore. I would suggest you might rent a car for 2 days and tour on your own plus it will get you to dinner. The Brown Sugur, at least in 2007, was terrific though a bit pricey. Enjoy.
Aruba is Miami beach with gambling. Barbados has small rooms for those who must risk there money on black jack or roulette.