Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Are restaurants withing walking distance from The Alexandra Resort?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family is visiting the TCI for the first time next week and I was wondering if we could walk to and from The Alexandra Resort to the following restaurants for dinner: Tiki Hut, Magnolia, Bella Luna, Caicos Cafe. We're just trying to decide if we need to rent a car or not for the week because we're not planning on doing much more than just relaxing on the beach, snorkeling and having some nice meals. Thanks, in advance, for your information.
Old May 5th, 2013, 02:37 PM
KVR

Here's a really good map of T & C.

http://www.wherewhenhow.com/turks-ca...o-map-2010.jpg

We stayed at the Sibonne, which is just a couple of hotels over from the Alexandra. There were restaurants located at the Sibbone and The Sands. We could walk to the Ports of Call and Salt Mills by going down the beach and cutting through the Sands parking lot to get to the street. Most hotels have some sort of restaurant you can go to.

However, you do need a car to get around. We did not rent one and relied on taxis. It can add up if you want to go that route.

Hopefully, Blamona will see this post and give you better specifics.
Old May 5th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, KVR. I printed out that map previously, but I'm not sure of the scale of the map. I see where all the restaurants are where we want to go, but I'm not sure of the distances and whether they are walkable distances or not. We are all adults...our kids are 18 and 22...so we have no little kids to contend with...and I have heard the island is safe, but I know the taxis charge per person and that can add up quite easily.
Old May 5th, 2013, 04:29 PM

No way would I walk to Tiki Hut or Magnolia from Alexandra-too far and dark areas ,Re: Caicos Cafe & Bella Luna - you could walk there & cab back. ( It is a hike too) With 4 people , I'd rent a car--even just for a few nights. From the Alex --easy walk to Hemingways, Bay Bistro, Mango Reef ( at the Alex is great) also very close are 2 restaurants each at Regent Palms & Somerset
Old May 5th, 2013, 05:16 PM

Carib said it great! No need for me
Old May 5th, 2013, 05:32 PM
WWK

Great info above, just wanted to add that I would NOT walk anywhere once it's dark. Take cabs to be safe, even if it means eating or drinking less at dinner.
Old May 6th, 2013, 03:23 AM

Or better, get a car rental, taxi ends up costing more! (plus with taxi you have to carry cash with you)
Old May 7th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for your information. I think renting a car seems the way to go. I'm just concerned about driving on the "wrong" side of the road. But hopefully that won't be too difficult. Thanks again!
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:00 AM

Driving is easy--just remember to yield to drivers coming from your right in the round abouts...