Search

Grace Bay construction

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Grace Bay construction

Planning to go to "Ocean Club West" on Grace Bay in March.
Any comments will be helpful. Also wondering if there is any construction going on near the property.

How is the golf?
Are there any casual restaurants close enough to walk to?
What is your favorite dining experience?
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think there are any major projects close enough to effect your stay. You'll be able to walk to quite a few resorts along the beach and duck in for a cocktail or meal. Here's a link to the weekly T&C enews. http://www.enews.tc/taxonomy_menu/2/2 This is where restaurants advertise the promotions they have going on. You'll be able to walk to Hemingway's at BWI which is a nice spot. Also be sure to dine one night at Magnolia's overlooking Turtle Cove. (You'll need a car or taxi). Have a cocktail on the deck at sunset and then go in for dinner - the views are WONDERFUL.

T&C has a great golf course - very green for an island course - but you need to be a straight shooter as it's fairly narrow and can be windy. Book early in the day before it gets too hot.

Old Jan 29th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

"Packed2go"---Thanks for the info.

This really is the best spot to get honest info.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 01:22 PM

The Seven Stars is close to OCW, and I believe that they are still doing some work on the property, but they have recently opened or are opening very soon, so in all likelihood it is minor stuff. Also, the Grace Bay Club is building the Estates (two large buildings), but I think that is a couple of properties away (to the east) and shouldn't be disruptive.

There are many casual restaurant choices nearby. Check out the options at Ports of Call and Saltmills shopping plazas as well as the resort restaurants at OCW, Royal West Indies (Mango Reef). Hemingways (mentioned in the previous post) is at the Sands Resort and is a little further away, probably about a mile.

Here is a link to the Provo dining guide that includes menus for lots of restaurants (and maps):

http://www.wherewhenhow.tc/providenc...2008/index.cfm
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 01:45 PM

some =of my favorite places to eat are:
-tiki hut at turtle cove marina - wed is rib and chicken night.
-aqua bar in same area.
-da conch shack is not to be missed.
-for romance anacona can't be beat.
you won't need to eat in walking distance of ocw - provo has the gecko shuttle that runs up and down the beach all the time.
http://www.thegecko.tc/
good site with lots of island info.
here's a map that you might want to look at too: http://www.aquamarinebeachhouses.com/map.htm
don't play but hear the golf is good.
rent a car for one day or get a taxi out to see chalk sound. the water color is amazing.

Old Jan 29th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Gin

From the OCW, we have walked to Coco Bistro, the restaurants in the Ports of Call (Big Bamboo was great last year - hope it is still there), Bella Luna, Danny Buoys and Iguana (@ Saltmills). Even though there are sidewalks and lighting, we always bring a flashlight for some of the darker spots. Of all of these, Coco Bistro is our favorite. Great setting in a palm grove, beautifully lit and we always had good food. Also, the OC/OCW free shuttle can take you to the Gecko Grill at OC.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Again, let me say that this is the best info available from people who have been there.

Another question---is the IGA close enough to walk to" Ocean Club West", or should we take a taxi? Also, is there a gourmet take out service there at all. The reason I ask, is that on Anguilla we found a place with wonderful take out meals to heat up in our kitchen and eat on our balcony. It worked fine for
those non-restaurant evenings.

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 10:07 AM

IGA is not within walking distance. I'm not sure if OCW runs a shuttle for guests (some of the resorts do), but if not, a taxi or the Gecko shuttle bus are options if you aren't renting a car.

There is a gourmet type place nearby on Grace Bay Road: Gourmet Goods (http://www.gourmetgoods.tc/index.html). Also, you can get your dinner packaged for take out at many restaurants. One idea that was suggested to me but I didn't get a chance to try was to get one of the pasta dishes from Saltmills Cafe for a takeout dinner (Saltmills is only open until about 3 pm, so you would need to plan ahead).

I'm thinking about going to Anguilla next. What was the gourmet place you liked there?
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

We absolutely loved Anguilla, except that it is harder to get to. We stayed at "Shoal Bay Villas" on Shoal Bay West and had balcony right on, and I do mean right on, the sand, "Ku" next door also looked good, some of the other resorts are too big and dowdy.

There was a huge grocery store a short drive away(I think the largest on the island). On the other side of the parking lot was a gourmet take out place(I don't remember the name but it's probably on the Anguilla web site).

Our favorite restaurant(walkable down the beach) was "Zara's"-went there 3 times. Which is really saying something, since there are so many good ones on Anguilla.

We will probably go back there someday, but thought we'd try T&C because it's easier to get to and had good reviews. We've been to about 25 islands--favorites, Anguilla,St. Bart's, Barbados, St. John. I hope we can add T&C to our favorite list.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 11:38 AM

If you decide to rent a car (we did), I highly recommend Grace Bay Car Rentals. It was incredibly reasonable ($300 for the week), and the owners could not be nicer. We used to the car to get to the IGA, drive to some restaurants, and meet our dive boat in the morning.

Old Jan 31st, 2008, 01:39 PM

Tpayt,

Thanks for the information about Anguilla. It seems like the grocery store/gourmet place you are talking about might be Fat Cat Gourmet near the Albert Lakes grocery store in The Valley.

Of your favorite islands, I've only been to Barbados so far, and IMO, Provo's beaches are way better. Many people who like Anguilla also like Provo, with the exception being those who find Provo to be "overdeveloped". Since you like Barbados and Shoal Bay East on Anguilla, I would guess that you won't have that issue with Provo. In any event, hope you have a great trip!
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

You're right Beachdreams3, it is Shoal Bay East not West. Thanks.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 06:02 PM

Take a look at the Royal West Indies if you're not yet committed. We stayed there and loved it, people we met from the Ocean club west were not pleased and were booking the RWI next visit. Construction is now hot and heavy with high rise condos going up. The restaurant at RWI is the best - amazing T-bone and pasta dishes. Just up the beach is the outdoor restaurant, lovely atmosphere, wear bug spray.
You will love Grace Bay wherever you stay, but do enjoy dinner at RWI one evening.