Search

The Sands- location??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Sands- location??

I believe that my husband and I and our 4 year old have decided on staying at "The Sands". Tough decision but it seems to offer a little of everything (not to small and not "too oversized" like Beaches.) How close is shopping, restaurants to the Sands? Are the Sands in the middle of everything? Can you walk to restaurants and if not how far are most of them located? Any info would be most helpful.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 05:24 AM

Stayed at the Sands last year and loved it. There's not much shopping on the island, per se, but there are a couple little shops (jewelry, clothes) on the Sands property. There's a small strip-mall type place up the street (I rode a bike there a few times) that has several touristy shops and also some good, moderately priced restaurants.
Some restaurants will be in walking distance along the beach -- others you can take the taxi/shuttle to (I think it cost $5 per person each way) which the front desk at the hotel will arrange for you.

We didn't rent a car because I understood there wasn't a lot of site-seeing to do and the beach on Grace Bay was more than enough fun for me - without exploring other beaches. So without a car, the taxi fees did add up just to go out to dinner and the one time we went to the grocery store. However, I would go that route again rather than renting a car.

There are many good restaurants -- search through past posts to see recommendations -- including Hemmingway's which is at the Sands. It seemed fairly priced and had very good food.
We bought groceries at the IGA the first day and ate most breakfasts and lunches in the room and then splurged on nice dinners...the dinners were somewhat pricey but really no more than you'd expect to pay in any resort area -- or even at a nice restaurant at home.

I thought the location of the Sands was perfect. The quality of the sand and water in front of the hotel was amazing. At one end of Grace Bay it gets kind of rocky and at the other end it felt somewhat isolated and desolate. The Sands had the feeling of having properties around it so you always felt safe but everything on Grace Bay is fairly spread out and low-rise so you don't feel at all crowded. And it's only a 20 minute walk to the reef in front of Coral Gardens for snorkeling.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Enjoy your trip!

Old Jan 28th, 2004, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Leslie - great information!!! Glad we chose the right spot.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 06:14 AM
TG

Hi Russell,
My family traveled to Provo for 1st time last year and stayed at Ocean Club West. This year we are returning but have decided to try The Sands.
Renting a car is a good idea. We had one for two days. This allowed us to make some grocery runs.
The OCW was very conveniently located across from the Ports of Call shops which has several decent restaurants.
When are you going?
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

We are going the first week of April. You mention about renting a car for a few days. When I was quoted a price for a car of $85/day, I couldnt imagine cab fare being more expensive than that or am I wrong? How far is the Sands from OCW? From what Leslie wrote however I am very pleased with the choice we made. It seems as though their are alot of beautiful properties.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 10:28 AM
cdt

You're right, at $85 a day, cabs are cheaper.

The lowest rental rates we found were $45/day for a car or $55/day for a 4WD. There are some reputable local firms; we dealt with "Scooter Bob's."

We felt a rental was probably less important compared to other islands we've visited. Grace Bay is the main attraction, and if you're going on an excursion you'll be picked up at your hotel. We did enjoy driving through the Blue Hills area and visiting Malcolm's Road Beach (4WD required).

To reach restaurants or grocery stores, taxis will work fine, and sometimes there are shuttles available.

Old Jan 28th, 2004, 11:45 AM

Hi there!

We have gone to Turks and Caicos twice. We stayed at The Sands last July and LOVED it!

Great resort, great beach front (although all hotels are on gorgeous Grace Bay), great staff, etc. We had no regrets!

We are planning our third trip and will most likely stay at the Sands again. The only reason we may stay elsewhere is due to a great deal at another resort, but I would chose the Sands any day!

Have a blast. Prepare yourself to see the most beautiful water in the Caribbean, if not in the world, IMO. Gin clear, calm, and a color like you have never seen. When the sun is shining (which is practically all the time), you just can not believe how gorgeous the water is. Heaven on earth!

Denise
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 04:56 PM

Sands is very nice. Comparable to Ocean Club West and Royal West Indies. You won't go wrong with any of them. You might want a car for a couple of days, try Avis, very close to the airport and they have shuttle. I paid about $100 for two days. They will drive you back to the resort when you drop it off. That way you can get groceries, save the transfer fee to the resort, and do a bit of sight seeing, hit a few restaurants or maybe snorkel at Turtle Cove. (not much sight seeing really)
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 02:59 PM
rst

The Sands includes transfers both ways and the super market is $8 (round trip). Shuttle to restaurants is $5 (round trip per person--- $8 for those a bit further). All of this is much cheaper than renting a car.
I suggest calling the Sands reservations directly for info. They know much more than the travel agent, who gave some wrong info according to several guests we met while there.