Search

Appropriate Gift

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Appropriate Gift

My family and I will be returning to Jamaica for a visit this winter. The last time we visited we hired someone to show us around the area for the day, and have made arrangements to do the same again this year. What would be an appropriate gift to bring from the United States? Our guide is a young woman in her late 20's.
Thank you.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 05:13 AM

Well, money is always appropriate for a tip but adding in something more personal is a great touch. Is there something native to your area or hometown that would make an interesting gift? I live in western Massachusetts and various gifts have included maple candy, chocolate covered cranberries, a Yankee candle (the flagship store is minutes away from my home), a Red Sox baseball cap, an artisan coffee mug, or a nice coffee table book featuring pictures of my area.

Does she have children? Bringing something for the kids would also be good.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 05:58 AM

i think candles are a good choice because the power goes out a lot on the islands.
i recently decided to take swim goggles and those flat fish id cards for gifts on my next trip - for the kids.
candy could get a bit melty in the heat.

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:30 AM

Tho it sounds crass, cash works best. Bras/panties are prized and hard to find on island. A SIM card for her cellphone. Photos of you back in the States. Jewelry is a tough call since many don't wear it for traditional religious reasons.
Skin lotions/moisturizers -- feminine things with known brand names (Jamaicans are very knowledgeable about brands).
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great ideas!
I'm leaning towards a spa-type basket, maybe with beauty products and a candle in the same scents.
Any idea which brands would be most liked? Maybe Bath and Body Works?