Reload this Page >

Gifts to bring back for the kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 06:56 AM
Karen

This is a little last minute, but I'm leaving for Paris tomorrow night and I need some ideas of "French" gifts to bring back for my 4 (almost 5) year old and my 7 year old. Any suggestions?

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 07:27 AM
Karen

I failed to mention that they are boys.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 07:30 AM
Linda

The large department stores have big toy departments. Although many are the same toys you can buy here there are some European lines. Also many smaller toy shops and book stores. How about berets, striped shirts, t shirts.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 07:54 AM
Marj

How about soccer jerseys, also you can check out a local grocer and see if there are any interesting snack foods. Sometimes things come in different flavors or packaging that kids may be fascinated with.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 10:55 AM
I love

I saw people in Samaritain (?sp) buying Matchbox sized Smartcars.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 11:11 AM
Anita

I would also suggest as a sweet treat getting a couple of the Eiffel Tower suckers (lollipops). My daughter got some to give her friends. They are rather oversized & pretty. You could try looking for some "Petit Prince" or "TinTin" items. These as well as "Babar" are favorites of French children. There are also lots of t-shirts & inexpensive souvenirs near the Eiffel Tower & other tourist places.<BR><BR>Good luck!

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 06:01 PM
jeanneq

I'm hoping to find talking toys...in FRENCH! Maybe a "Tickle me, Jaques!"? Ha!

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 07:54 PM
Jim

Don't know if they are into them at all, but my 10 year old boy went nuts when I brought him Italian Pokemon Cards. Found several different decks of cards throughout Italy, only slightly more expensive that here in the US. He was the envy of every kid in the neighborhood.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:40 PM
Joelle

When my son was 9 years old and we visited Paris, he asked us to buy him a miniature RATP bus. The doors also can open.<BR><BR>It's made in France and it's a very nice replica. So I believe that little boys would appreciate this kind of toy.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:56 PM
L

Asterisk and Oblelisk comic books. My husband remembered them from a french teacher in grade school. It is two french mid eval war buddies who always conquer the huns at the end, and celebrate with a big pig bar-b-que. It is a mix of Tom and Jerry, and Hagar the Horrible. They are popular in France, and can be purchased at newstands, for $7 each. They are hard cover.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Lori

My nieces, 3 and 8, went nuts for the sticky men the vendors sell. You throw them against a wall and they 'walk' down it.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 04:58 AM
robbie

The gift shop in Des Invalides has a great selection of military items: miniature pewter soldiers, coats of armor, flags, caps, books, etc.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Byrd

Several years ago I bought fairy tale books (in French naturally) at the gift shop at Versailles. They were well-known stories--I think one was Sleeping Beauty--and beautifully illustrated.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:34 AM
barbara

I was in Paris about a month ago and was having a hard time finding something for my 10 year old son. In the gift shop at Ste. Chapelle I found some wonderful knights and horses, even a catapult. I got him 2 knights and horses so they can "challenge" each other - and the catapult is great fun. And they say "Made in France"!