Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

anyone have a good, reliable divemaster in anguilla?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:38 AM
anguillabound

we are heading to anguilla in feb and as a novice diver, my first question should be is the diving any good there? if so, any suggestions on who to use?

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:40 AM
Anon

The snorkeling isn't even very good. Anguilla is not known for diving. I see people snorkeling, but very disappointed as there is not much to see but a few fish and clear blue water.There are no coral formations that would attract different kinds of fish and sea life. To answer your question, it would be perfect for a novice diver since it is like diving in a big clear warm swimming pool.

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 04:48 AM
Anon 2

If diving is your thing, I wouldn't recommend Anguilla (as the previous poster already noted). Anguilla is wonderful but NOT a typical place for divers! You'd be much better off going to Bonaire which is a wonderful island as well and very much geared to divers, with lots of excellent diving instructors. Just a thought...

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Anon

Not everyone is Lloyd Bridges... so if you are coming to Anguilla anyway and need a reliable dive master, Meesh of Shoal Bay Scuba (http://shoalbayscuba.ai/) is well recommended. Anguilla is not known for it's dive sites, but there are more than a few worth mention around the island which would keep any novice diver amused for a week or two.

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Friendly

I would recommend Douglas &quot;Dougie&quot; Carty of Special 'D' Diving &amp; charters. He is a very good DM with a good guy and lots of experience. Has been diving for over 12 years. You can reach him with questions/inquiries at [email protected] or visit his website at www.dougcarty.com.<BR><BR>Regarding Diving on Anguilla, there are quite a few interesting sites. There are some reefs and wrecks.<BR><BR>Hope you have fun

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 04:40 AM
Susan

I too would recommend Dougie of Special 'D' Diving as well. Real nice guy and great Dive Master.<BR><BR>Highly recommended.

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 04:52 PM
robert

Going back in 2 months and will dive again with Anguillian Divers. Margeon (dive master) and Eric ( captain) are running the shop. They are based at la sirena but the boat leaves from cove bay. Very reliable, great fish spotters and lot of fun + they have pool.

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 08:54 PM
GM

Anguilla is typicaly not known for great diving i.e., compared to like the 'walls' of Cozumel and Grand Cayman (P.S. I don't dive or snorkel; hubby is the diver in the fam), but he liked Shoal Bay for snorkeling when we visited there, as well as Sandy Bay. There is a Shoal Bay Water Sports that can PADI Certify.<BR><BR>I understand there's a wreck (Sara?) that is popular Anguilla dive site.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Linda

We travel to Anguilla every year and we always dive with Dougie. Our first two years we did Shoal Bay, then Anguillian Divers but now we are stuck with Douglas.<BR><BR>Shoal Bay and A. Divers were good but I think Dougie is great and I highly recommend him. <BR><BR>