Anguilla diving/snorkeling

Nov 19th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Jeff

Anguilla diving/snorkeling

I understand that Anguilla is beautful, but I have also noticed that diving doesn't seem to be one of its selling points. I am very interested in both SCUBA and snorkeling on my next Caribbean trip. Can someone who had beeen tell me what the diving is really like? Are there any coral reefs, wrecks?

Thank you

Nov 19th, 2002, 06:25 AM
Nancy

Hi Jeff,
It will depend on what time of year you go as to whether you can even find anyone to dive with.
We went in October and lugged our dive gear along, only to find out that the island pretty much shuts down as far as activities go in Oct. (A lot of Anguillans take vacation at that time off-island.)
We were never able to find anyone to take us.
I've heard the diving isn't that great there, so I guess we did not miss out on that much
If snorkeling and diving are important to you, I'd suggest Cozumel or Provo - which is a lot like Anguilla but has great diving and snorkeling.
Anguilla is absolutely gorgeous and we enjoyed it very much - it just doesn't really make for an "active" vacation.

Nov 19th, 2002, 06:31 AM
Jeff

Thank you Nancy for your feedback. That helps me to make my decision for this trip at least. We are getting SCUBA certified and definitely wnat to be able to use it!

Nov 19th, 2002, 06:01 PM
NM

We go to Anguilla every year and my husband, an avid diver, goes out with Doug Carty (look on the web for his eamil address). He operates out of Sandy Ground and is an excellent diver with a very keen eye. Anguilla does not match the diving of, lets say, Bonaire or T and C but is enjoyable with multiple wreck dives and some very interesting reefs. There is also lots of enjoyable snorkeling.

Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:02 AM
Axa Girl

Nancy,

Maybe you did not inquire enough. Dougie Carty of Special 'D' Diving & Charters operates year round.

Jeff,

You can visit www.dougcarty.com or email Dougie at [email protected] for information.

D