Anyone flown b/w St. Thomas and Tortola?

Apr 17th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Laura

Anyone flown b/w St. Thomas and Tortola?

Hi All:
We are arriving in St. Thomas via air on a Sunday in July at 2pm. We need to get to Tortola as quick and painlessly as possible. I have all the ferry schedules, but am interested in finding out if anyone has flown between St. Thomas and Tortola on Cape Air (or any other airlines that go that route). What have your experiences been? Are they reliable, leave on time, not use rickety aircraft, etc? Also, how is traffic on Sunday afternoons b/w St. Thomas airport and the Charlotte Amalie or Red Hook docks? Are Sundays jammed with cruise ship passengers? I would pay higher prices to avoid hassles. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks yall.

Apr 17th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Donna

I flew into Tortola a few years back and not problems at all. It was a flight from San Juan but I can't remember the airline. Don't know about the boat schedule but it's probably quite quick. Red Hook is closer to West End. Where are you staying? Have a great time!

Apr 18th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Laura

Thanks Donna -- actually we aren't staying on Tortola, we are going on a Windjammer Cruise. From what I have read, it looks like the ferries are quick, I just wonder how big a hassle it is to get from STT airport to the ferries. It looks like a long way to Red Hook.

Apr 18th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Eva

Don't bother going all the way to Red Hook for the ferry; the Charlotte Amalie dock is minutes away from the airport. And your vacation begins as soon as you get on that ferry, with spectacular island views and friendly company. It only takes a few minutes longer to get to West End from CA -- ferry time is better than taxi time. The ferry often continues all the way to Roadtown, which is where the Windjammers depart from).

Apr 19th, 2002, 09:33 PM
don

Good advice so far.The planes land at Beef Island which I believe is further from Roadtown then West End. Most of the ferries go to West end because it is closest to St. Thomas(although a few go to Roadtown). It's about a 40 min. taxi ride West End-to-Roadtown. St. Thomas roads are usually clear on Sunday. The ferries leave from red hook every hour on the half hour. I don't know the schedule from town but you will likely enjoy the longer trip from town(plus as mentioned above, is only a few miles from the airport). I found a schedule(I live in STT) and they show a ferry from town to Roadtown at 5:30PM.
P.S. most of the ships dock at the other end of town so would have no effect on the travel to the town ferry dock(actually, in July there might not even be any cruise ships in). The listed taxi fare to the town ferry is [email protected] I think the last time I took a taxi West end -to-Roadtown, the fare was $5 or [email protected] Just a hint, the fare from Roadtown to West End is $11 or [email protected] unless you pick up a "ferry taxi" at specific locations in town. Ask about it.

May 27th, 2002, 09:11 AM
gail

I took Cape Air from San Juan to Tortola,
it was awesome, little plane seats 10 but it flew low and was gorgeous. Capt. was great and I would do it again for the experience.