Any Tobago Lovers here ...

Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Any Tobago Lovers here ...

I think Tobago looks like a very interesting destination , pretty cove beaches , lush and hilly landscape , laidback atmosphere , ... Any Fodorites have first hand info ? Thanx , Faith
Jan 2nd, 2005, 12:14 PM

My family & I went in Febuary 2001 and we loved it. We traveled with our 2 boys 5 months and 2 year old.

We got to Tobago on a flight on BWIA West Indies Airways. They were great. We rented a car and drove around the island. Some favorite spots of ours were Pigeon point beach, Store Bay Beach and Pirate's Bay. Pirate's Bay is the most secluded beach we went to. We had to hike down quite a bit but great beach and worth the effort. The only way to get there is by taking a boat into the cove. Good snorkeling.

Johnston Apartments www.johnston-apts.com is where we stayed. Great service and apartment like rooms with ammenities for family travel. Also had its own private beach with great shopping next to apartments. Some sites we saw were Argyll Waterfall. Jemma's Tree House in Speyside Tobago was a great stop for lunch. Since we had two small little ones we took Speyside Fearnot Glass Bottom Boat trip to Little Tobago. We got to see fish and walked around little tobago for a short hike. Fort Bennett and the Water wheel at Arnos Vale were some other stops on our trip. We would go back since their was much more to see. For those who like more of a relaxing trip this would also be a stop for you. Hope this helps.

We took this trip to see carnival in Trinidad and made a short stop for 4 days in Tobago but if I had to do it again I would have stayed in Tobago for the whole duration of our trip.
Jan 2nd, 2005, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanx for the reply , it really looks incredible !! Pigeon Point looks beautiful , almost a South Pacific look , unfortunately it is now private although you can still pay a small fee and get in , but this surrounds a local scandal of sorts . I can not believe I have not paid it ( Tobago ) more attention before ! Our children are 6 and 8 , and are great walkers , we just returned from Costa Rica where they did a great job of trudging about with us . We will enjoy exploring those out of the way beaches !! Thanx , Faith .
Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:10 PM

I have been to Tobago several times, the last time almost 3 years ago. I stayed at Belleviste Apartments near the airport. It wasn't directly on the ocean, but there was an ocean view. Store Bay and Pigeon Point were within walking distance. I rented a car for the week and spent most of my time exploring the corners of the island. If you like hiking, there are trails in the rainforest in the center of the island. This rainforest has been protected since the 1700s. The main trail starts along the cross-island road, about midway between the two coasts. If you feel ambitious, you can hike all the way down to Bloody Bay, where there is a deserted beach. Guides from the tourist board are usually available at the trailhead if you wish to use their services.

Another nice area is Charlotteville, at the northern end of the island. This is where Pirate's Bay and Man O' War Bay are located. Right before you get to Charlotteville, take the turn up to Flagstaff Hill. Here you will find a great view of the entire area and nearby islands.

A drive along the north coast will take you to beaches and coves at Arnos Vale, Castara, Englishman's Bay, Parlatuvier, and Bloody Bay. The last time I was in Tobago, they were improving the road from Bloody Bay to Charlotteville, making it possible to do a loop around the perimeter of the island. This road was a dirt track through the forest which could become a quagmire after a heavy rain, so it was seldom used. I actually wish they would have left the old road alone, as it made a nice, quiet hiking trail along the coast.
Jul 29th, 2006, 02:19 PM

Sebina or anyone with experience,
I was wondering how Tobago rated as a destination with small boys. I'm thinking of going to Tobago (we're trying to decide which island currently but perhaps Turks & Caicos instead) next May. My son will be 3 then so I was wondering how the island was for him, ie water, was the sun to intense (also for me too), and those sorta things.
Thanks!
Jul 29th, 2006, 08:00 PM

Another question for you Tobago lovers :

Is it absolutely necessary to rent a car to get around Tobago? Someone told me that renting a car was the only real way to move around.
How easy was it to drive around?
Jul 30th, 2006, 10:31 AM

ttt
Jul 30th, 2006, 12:51 PM

If no one answers on Fodor's try Steve Woolers' excellent Tobago site:

http://www.mytobago.info/
Jul 30th, 2006, 06:52 PM

thanks Roberto.
Jul 30th, 2006, 07:29 PM

We were in Tobago in 1998, so much may have changed since then, but we had a car for our entire visit and I can't imagine not having one. You would really need a car to visit all the different parts of the island. We spent a fortune our first day in a taxi looking for a new place to stay. We finally ended up on Grafton beach which was a really great spot. Driving was not diffcult although we did get lost from time to time (but that happens to us a lot!!) About the only island we visit that we don't rent a car is in Jamaica (Negril)...that would
Jul 30th, 2006, 07:31 PM

I was going to say that driving in Negril would require nerves of steel or a deathwish....but no problem in Tobago! Lori
Jul 30th, 2006, 10:55 PM

There are several more intersting destinations in t=yhe caribbran. I woukd consider, Bsrbabos, Ambriques Key. Roaton Caye just oggice. Honduras, Belize Caye just off the coast, by a 20 mile fight. Just off the coust of off Belize.

If you want snorkeling it is great off some beaches off the Coas of Ambergis Key.
Jul 31st, 2006, 05:33 AM

Stan,
Did you get into Captain Jack's rum stash?