Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Any place in Caribbean with interesting historical sights - or something other than beach, food, water sports?

Search

Any place in Caribbean with interesting historical sights - or something other than beach, food, water sports?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beginning to think about summer vacation (I know weather will be hot). Beach, shopping, water sports, etc - all typical tropical activities are fine. But wondering if there is any place in Caribbean where there is something authentic/historical, etc. that is significant and interesting. (Atlantis does not count!). Or perhaps we wouyld be better off exploring some part of Mexico.

Of course, I am aware that every country has history - but I am looking for something to see or do.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:36 AM

I don't recommend my own island often since it is small and not heavy on tourism, but you might want to take a look at http://www.statiatourism.com . St. Eustatius is known as a historical gem and was the first nation to recognize US independence.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:55 AM

Hola Gail:

You don't say where you are travelling from, so that leaves things pretty much wide open.

My suggestion is Cuba, Havana in particular.

From a pure historical perspective, it's the oldest Spanish enclave in the "New World". And as an obviously unique political/sociological experience, it offers a culture and perspective you simply won't find elsewhere. And no McD's or Tacky Bell either.

To give you some idea of the country have a gander at my website which documents my many trips to la Isla Grande.
http://photopilot.tripod.com

Note that this is a free-hosted website and if the bandwidth is exceeded you have to come back later. Depends on how many people view the site each day.

All the best.
Mi dos centavos.
Steve (YYZ)
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Sunnyboy

Nevis has many old ruins of Sugar Plantations, churches, the oldest synagogue in the Caribbean, forts dating back to the days of Lord Nelson and even a lost "village" high up on the mountaiside. St. Kitts is home to Brimstone Hill one of the most massive forts in the Caribbean (it took over 110 years to build). Antigua has Nelson's Dockyard. The northern Grenadines have many historical sites that deal with the early whaling industry. St. Lucia's historical background deals with the struggles between England and France as they battle for supremacy of the West Indies.

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 11:47 AM
cw

There is a lot of history in the Caribbean but I would like to second Sunnyboy's comments about St. Kitts and Nevis.

You can look at www.stkittsheritage.org for information on St. Kitts history and the fabulous Brimstone Hill. Also on both islands, a guide can take you on a rainforest or volcano hike. Nevis is the birthplace of Alexander Hamilton and you can visit the house. It was also the site of Adm. Horatio Nelson's marriage to Fanny Nisbet.

Take a look at the Fodor's on-line guide for the Caribbean for more ideas.

CW
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Carib_Ian

Lots and lots of history in the Caribbean. In addition to the excellent suggestions below, there is also Puerto Rico (old San Juan) Dominican Republic (Santo Domingo), St. Lucia (Pigeon Island). Every island has some history whether it's the slave huts on Bonaire or the French history on Martinique and Guadeloupe.