Antigua, Bonaire, or St Kitts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I won a trip to one of the following islands. We need to choose them in the order we want to go. Can anyone tell me which of the 3 are the most appealing, fun, disirable trips to take. Any suggestions or opinons are welcome!!

Thanks!
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 06:11 PM

We need to know more about what you like. Have you been to the Caribbean before? Here is a quick run down:

Antigua: classic Caribbean, great beaches, British influence, many all-inclusives, big cruise stop.

St. Kitts: Scenic,low-key, lots of history, beaches so-so

Bonaire: Flat, arid, small, friendly, Dutch. Great diving and snorkelling.

I have been to all three. My personal favourite of the 3 is St. Kitts.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 05:02 AM

Antigua is the island to choose if you want beautiful beaches--it's got TONS of them, some of them small enough for just two people, others are long strands of white or ivory sand.

Both Antigua and St. Kitts offer things to do in the historical category. Antigua has Nelson's Dockyard, a Georgian period restoration area named for Admiral Nelson when he was stationed in the Caribbean. There are also some ruins of old forts. St. Kitts has the forts, including the wonderful Brimstone Hill.

St. Kitts is the most beautiful in terms of interior, and it, along with sister island Nevis, is almost unique in the Caribbean with their many plantation inns. Both St. Kitts and Nevis are extremely lush, with mountainous interiors. Antigua has some very nice rolling hills so that it's not completely flat like Bonaire. Antigua falls inbetween the two in terms of lushness.

Bonaire is the only one with excellent diving and snorkelling. It's also the island I know the least amount about of the islands you're considering.

Antigua is one of my favorite islands to visit, as I feel that I've found a second home when visiting the Long Bay Hotel. But we really need to know your definitions of "Appealing, fun, disirable (hic)" in order to give you suggestions.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:21 AM

Antigua, then St. Kitts, then Bonaire (unless, as mentioned, you are big diving fans, then Bonaire would be first or second).
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:55 AM

Oops, made a typo myself in my previous post! Should've been [sic].
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 12:35 PM

Both Antigua and St. Kitts have lots of history. Although the food in Antigua was good, St. Kitts may be a little better. I think you are welcomed more in St. Kitts. The island of Antigua has many serene back to nature spots, but is not quite as lush as St. Kitts. Antigua does have better beaches though and they are generally quite gentle. The views from Shirley Heights are magnificent! If you are massive divers, Bonaire will probably be a good choice for you. Otherwise, you may not find it very appealing.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:53 PM

Knowing - ITA.

Unless you are huge into diving or even snorkeling there is not a lot of appeal to Bonaire (above sea-level)

St Kitts is great, people are friendly, some nice plantation inns or the huge Marriott.

Antigua - 365 beaches. Actually I was at a couple of them and got stung by jellyfish so that was fun! Very interesting historical sites there.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:31 PM

I totally love bosoco's short but accurate take on the 3 islands. It really depends on what you are looking for.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 07:47 AM

Never been to Bonaire, but my favourite is St. Kitts. Uncrowded beaches, friendly and helpful locals, fun beach bars, day trips to sister island Nevis, rainforest or volcano tours, and so much more.

A website you might find helpful is www.discover-stkitts-nevis-beaches.com