Rooms etc. at Aruba Grand?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2003, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking into the Aruba Grand because they have beachfront suites and an Olympic-size pool, but would like to know if the rooms & bathrooms are nice. We don't want that motel feel. Also, do they have a decent gym? There's very little info about this place and it seems to be lesser known than the other spots - is there a reason why? We do like a quieter atmosphere. Any help appreciated. We'd probably stay at Radisson otherwise.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 09:45 AM

Stay at the Radisson. We did not stay at the Aruba Grand, but the public areas were older and not attractive. The pool area was nice, but considering the gorgeous beach, you won't use it. The Radisson's pools are even nicer.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Actually for swimming I prefer a regular Olympic pool to the kind of free-form pools at hotels that people use mostly for lounging in. We don't hang out at the pool, we hang out on the beach and use the pool for exercise only. That's what I meant. I also heard that none of the beachfront ground floor rooms in ANY of the hotels on Palm Beach are actually directly ON the beach. Can anyone clarify for me? We stayed at Bucuti last year and it was walk out of your door onto the beach.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 12:24 PM

The Aruba Grand is a small, quiet hotel that seems to attract an older crowd. At times seems quite empty. None of the hotels on Palm Beach have rooms directly on the beach because you first have the pool areas and then the beach.

If you want direct beach access from your room like the Bucuti try the Tam. All rooms face the ocean but the beach is non-existent in some areas as there has been beach erosion. The Tam is totally all-inclusive and located in the low-rise section. It's more of a moderate hotel. Not sure but you may have direct beach access from the Manchebo (set up more motel like and next to the Bucuti so same huge beach).

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 05:01 AM

OOPS..I checked with a friend who has stayed at the Aruba Grand and she informed me that there are a few suites on the ground floor that do have beach access. Sorry if I misled you!
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

No, in fact you just made my day!
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 08:35 AM
cdt

It would be interesting if anyone knows when the Aruba Grand rooms were last remodeled, as it is an "older" hotel.

You could easily walk from the Tamarijn to the superior beach by the Manchebo - the beach itself is public, but you wouldn't be able to use the Manchebo's shade huts.

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 09:41 AM

They were remodeled a couple of years ago. My friend enjoyed her stay at the Grand.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Morgan -- what is the advantage of the Tam over Bucuti? The only thing we didn't like about Bucuti were the ordinary rooms & bathrooms - are the ones at Tam better?
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 04:22 AM

If given a choice between Bucuti or Tam Bucuti wins hands down! As you know it is not fancy but very clean and the service is excllent not to mention that beach.

The Tam is totally all-inclusive and can get crowded with families. Yes the rooms are beachfront but depending on which section you are in you may not have direct beach access from your room due to beach erosion. Rooms are very basic.

If you want the nicer rooms and the better bathrooms you will find them on Palm Beach in hotels like Marriott, Hyatt and Radisson (Radisson had $55 million total reno about 5 years ago). Also the suites at the Wyndham had pretty nice bathrooms. I have not personally visited the Aruba Grand so cannot comment.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 04:55 AM

The Aruba Grand is a great place to stay. It's true that it is smaller and older than the other high-rise hotels, but it definitely does not have a "motel" feel to it. I generally spend very little time at the hotel while in Aruba - there's plenty to do, see, and eat throughout the island. For clean, comfortable place to stay the Aruba Grand really is nice. However, if you're looking for more hotel-centered activities, you probably would be happier someplace else. Finally, to the best of my recollection, there are fewer than 1/2 dozen true beach-front / ist floor units there. Also, I think some of those might be time-shares and not rentable hotel rooms, but I'm not sure.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, this is very helpful, too. We don't need any hotel activities, just a great room, a gym, a pool, and the beach. Plus peace & quiet. Sounds like the Grand might be our kind of place and I'm just hoping we're not disappointed with our suite. We loved everything about the Bucuti except their rooms -- and there's nothing really wrong with their rooms except that we never looked forward to being in them.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 11:15 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Aruba Grand and loved it. The room was clean and comfortable (not motel-like) but not luxurious either. The hotel is very quiet, which we liked. I was able to do laps in the pool without anyone else even being in it! Their beach also was less crowded than most of the other beaches. One thing to note is that you have to pay a daily fee to use the gym. We pricelined our hotel stay in Aruba and stayed at the Aruba Grand for only $60 a night. Great deal.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info! Do you remember how much the fee was to use the gym?
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 06:33 PM

I believe it was $8 a day for the gym.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks to everybody for all the info!