Aruba - need help in deciding on a hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Headed to Aruba for 1st time in mid April (after Easter vacations). I can't seem to decide between the Hyatt and Bucuti Beach. I considered the Raddison but it appears a step below either of these properties. We are a married couple in our mid-30's with no kids. I'm thinking the Hyatt wont be as crazy given its after the holidays but do have concerns about the beach being dirty (ready several of those reviews).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 11:39 AM

I haven't stayed at the Hyatt, so I can only tell you about the Bucuti. I don't know what your preferences are, though.

Bucuti is on Eagle Beach, which I think is the best Beach in Aruba. Wide and less crowded than Palm Beach. Plus, the resort is smaller and gives you a more intimate experience, all the rooms are close to beach, mainly couples there, Peaceful and quiet, really nice rooms, restaurant and beach bar on site. If you ever want to go to Palm Beach at night, you rent a car or take a cab.

I am sure the Hyatt must have its fans too. This is just what I expect from a Beach resort. It's perfect for couples in my opinion.

Hope it helps!
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks...we like peace and quiet, but also like to have a good time..like to have options. Stayed at a boutique hotel once in St. Martin and everything closed by 11pm-midnight.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 04:17 PM

I see what you mean. Perhaps The Hyatt will be more suitable for you, since it`s on Palm Beach. I am sure it is going to be great. Have a nice trip and enjoy Aruba!!!
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 06:42 AM

I am surprised to hear that the Radisson is considered a step-down from Bucuti. I think a lot of that depends on what type of accomodations you book. We are going back for our third visit to the Radisson in February, and have been very pleased with our ocean view rooms, as well as the services at the hotel ( great concierge, really nice gym overlooking the beach) and spectacular, relatively uncrowded beachfront.

We've also stayed at The Hyatt, which we didn't like nearly as much. Found the rooms smaller than what we'd had at The Radisson, and the swimming pool area a complete zoo.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 07:04 AM

I have never been to Bucuti but the Hyatt is gorgeous. I have stayed at the Radisson and that is very nice too. Except for being busy at times, we loved Palm Beach and the beach at the Hyatt always looks clean and nice.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 10:25 AM

We stayed at the Renaissance last week. Very good location. Drawback for some would be that there is only a man made beach with a pretty good size salt water pool, plus several fresh water pools. For us, without kids that was an advantage, and I think even with kids it might be nice. Location for us was the best on the island.Walk to the downtown area and next to many restaurants. Also a big attraction is private boat shuttle to take you to their private island, about a 8 minute boat ride. Renaissance has 2 parts - the Marina, which would be horrible for families, and has no charm in my opinion.It is part of a mall and many of the rooms look into the mall area. UGH!. But it is apparently an adult hotel with no kids around the pool. But the oceanfront suites where we were are super, especially the ones overlooking the pool area. I think all of the rooms there have balconies. The room was very quiet, even though it is not too far away from the airport. You sure hear them outside, but not inside the room. The rooms could use a bit more maintenance, but nothing to be worried about. We just notice certain things in rooms that most people would not. Re Hyatt, we walked through it and it is very nice, but I didn't like the layout of the grounds to get to the water, and I didn't think that it compared in looks or classiness to the Marriott, which is just a short distance away. Marriott had a "wow" factor when we entered it, Hyatt did not in our opinion. Both properties are close to a big shopping center with many restaurants, movies, etc.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 10:49 AM

What about Riu?
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 06:26 AM

We're in our mid-30s and are going to the Bucuti in mid-April. We wanted an adults-only resort and quieter beach area. I figure if we want to go to some of the hot spots, we can always take a cab.

Can't wait!
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 10:57 AM

The Hyatt is spectacular and is on Palm Beach which many people absolutely love.
The Bucuti is very charming and very serene. It's located three miles from town and is also on a great beach.
You really can't go wrong with either one.
We have stayed at the Radisson and will not return there again.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 01:08 PM

I have been to Aruba many times and each time I have stayed at the Westin. The Hyatt is a beautiful property and the location is great. I've eaten at a couple of the restaurants there. Very romantic! You can walk to so many places too. You'll enjoy your time there!
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 03:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed at the Marriott, but walked around the Hyatt and it was very nice. I can't imagine who would say the beach was dirty? The beach (Palm) is busy with water sports activities. I think you will be fine after the Easter rush. We were there during Easter week with our kids one year.