Antigua Hotels/trying to choose

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help friends! trying to decide between Galley Bay..all inclusive (and not sure I want to have that totally )or Blue Water ..b'fast and afternoon tea..which would give us options to explore the island and eat as we choose
Has anyone stayed at either recently..Blue Water has a great summer suite special..thougths and opinions, please
I always get such great input from the forums!
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 01:11 PM

I think Galley Bay has the better location and more going for it. Its grounds feel isolated but actually it's just a quick drive to town. Blue Waters was perhaps a teensy bit nicer in terms of grounds. Both properties are very nice, but if the price is commensurate, I'd pick Galley Bay. You'll get more for your money there with all meals and all drinks included.

Even if you stay at Galley Bay you can sample other restaurants and explore the island, you know. Just use it for the meals and drinks you want it for and then go out and enjoy a few lunches or dinners elsewhere. Antigua has some very good food out there.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 03:23 AM

I am prejudiced because GB is my favorite resort in the Caribbean! And the summer sales are great. Absolutely go for the premium beachfront rooms if it's in the budget because they are really nice and the other rooms just can't compare. I have seen Blue Waters and was underwhelmed, the beach is very small and in no way can compare to GB. Also read the reviews on tripadvisor -- GB is number one there and the BW reviews are mixed to say the least. And the landscaping at GB was incredible as they have done a tremendous amount of work on it recently (I was there in April and also in March 08).
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Looks like it will be GB!! Any other tips to share..restaurants, must do/see helpful hints?
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 09:42 AM

Well, since GB is AI we didn't go to any other restaurants -- GB has three restaurants and they also have a great Caribbean buffet/barbecue on Thursday nights. FYI, if you book the premium beachfront rooms, I like the ones on the Gauguin Restaurant side (check out the map on GB website) and the second floor because I think the view is better and the balcony is more private than the patio for the first floor rooms. These rooms are older but I have stayed in these and the newer premiums and there is very little difference. I also like this side because the rooms have palapas in front which the other side doesn't. Some people like the first floor because you can walk out your sliding glass door and there's the beach! We have done two boat trip excursions and both were great -- Eli's Eco-Tour by Adventure Antigua and Wadadli Cats Circumnavigation (if the surf is calm they pick you right up from GB's beach). We also went to Nelson's Dockyard which is historic and a nice place to have lunch. The town of St. John's is nothing special and we did not go there on our last trip. We rented a car both times since my husband golfed almost every day and although it is hard finding your way around (make sure you get really good directions to the resort from the airport if you do this) due to very few street signs etc. we did not find the driving too difficult and the roads are in okay shape. And GB's rum punch is the absolute best! Happy to answer any other questions -- GB is the first time in 11 annual trips we ever repeated a resort and we like to try new places so the fact that we went back two years in a row really says something!
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 02:20 PM

I second the rec for Eli's eco-tour and for the Wadadli Cats. I enjoyed Nelson's Dockyard and English Harbour for the history, but I don't recommend going when there's a cruise ship in port. Unlike Eileen, I think St. John's is worth a brief visit--it has the small and charming museum, the pretty cathedral, the usual shops, and Hemingway's is a nice place to have lunch in town.

If you like mingling in crowds, Sunday evening BBQ at Shirley Heights is good. If you're taking an island tour and get to the east side, Betty's Hope is moderately interesting. I love Half Moon Bay on the east coast.

Coconut Beach on Dickenson Bay is a quintessential Caribbean restaurant with good food, pleasant ambience, and fairy lights that is set very close to the water. The Beach is also on Dicknson Bay and offers more casual cuisine--there are even a few tables right on the sand--as well as live music some nights. I really like Home restaurant in town for local Caribbean food and Le Bistro near Blue Waters for really excellent cuisine.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 02:40 PM

We are planning a trip to Antigua in Jan.for 3 weeks and am interested in Dickenson Bay Cottages. Has anyone stayed there? Would also be interesed in a cottage or small villa. Not interested in all inclusive places. Thanks!! Eagle