Antigua--Blue Waters? Carlisle Bay?

Dec 15th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Antigua--Blue Waters? Carlisle Bay?

Hi. I've had a more general post about a trip I'm taking with my mom next March--we've been trying to decide between two islands, but as we're now leaning towards Antigua, I wanted to get some more specific feedback.

Has anyone stayed at either Blue Waters or Carlisle Bay? I would love any feedback about the atmosphere (friendly, stuffy, snobby, young, old, etc.) the FOOD, the service, the activities offered...anything! At this point I'm attracted to Carlisle Bay but have been leaning towards Blue Waters because I've read a few very negative things about Carlisle Bay online so it sounds a bit hit or miss...any thoughts?

If it helps, we really care about good food (though not fancy food necessarily) and really don't like places where you have to look fashionable all the time--just want something low key and lovely.

Thanks so much!
Dec 15th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Dec 15th, 2006, 07:27 AM

Well, they're so very different. I've not stayed at either place, but I did stop for a nice lunch one day at Blue Waters. It's more of your typical Caribbean resort. It's lovely in many ways but it doesn't have the same "wow" factor that Carlisle Bay does. Then again, it's about half the cost!

On the other hand, Carlisle Bay's decor is very minimal and stark and beautiful, but not especially evocative of the Caribbean. I've never visited there, but I have a friend who wrote an article about the opening there for Gourmet magazine and I got to look through all of her photos.

The sandwich I had at Blue Waters was quite good, but since I didn't sample anything else, I have no idea if that quality was representative of the kitchen, and evev if it were, that was a few years ago and it could have changed by now anyway.

Have you taken your questions to the Antigua forum over at TripAdvisor? It's fairly active, though admittedly mostly for the AI resorts, but there are a few expats living on the island who could give their input.

One of the better restaurants on the island, Le Bistro, is just a short drive away from Blue Waters. While Carlisle Bay is pretty convenient to the English Harbour and Nelson's Dockyard area.
Dec 15th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for this. Yes, I've checked TripAdvisor a bit and will have another look before we decide. Anyone else been to these places?
Dec 15th, 2006, 07:38 PM

my husband and i spent a week at carlisle bay in august. we had a very romantic, wonderful time. we experienced fantastic service, great breakfast (included) on our veranda and on the beach, delicious drinks and lunches on the beach...cold shrimp with hot sauces, chicken and veggie roti, fruit and cheese platters, lobster salad and sandwiches, seared tuna with refreshing salads.....all very good. dinners were nice whether in east, which we only ate in once, or the open air restaurant on the beach...i would say the ambiance, relaxation and service in this restaurant was far better then the food itself....not that it wasnt good, it was, but it didnt blow us away....the deserts were wonderful.

the beach was gorgeous with palms spotted all along giving us shade and pleasure. the service was outstanding, the water calm and beautiful. the crew for snorkling and day trips were fun and cordial. tea in the afternoon on the beach was calm, serene and very relaxing. the pool was beautiful, quiet and had a nice bar to have a few drinks and a nice afternoon wind down.

the spa was very very minimal, a bit too minimal for me. very clean....but no wow factor here. the staff were friendly and smiled alot...and i enjoyed my time spent there...the treatments were top notch.

this is a beautiful relaxing place. not much going on, but for us it was what we wanted...low key..it seemed that most guests retired early or just enjoyed the beauty of the room, which is understandable...they are unique.

we enjoy going out when we are visiting the caribbean and we ventured out to eat at abracadabra which was very very good italian food. we went there twice and had a great time as well as great food and drinks. the owner was graceous as well as the entire staff....i believe on the weekends they turn the restaurant into a night club with great music. we also ate at the english harbor, not sure if that is the right name, it is a resort with a beautiful outdoor restaurant overlooking the ocean set upon a cliff. we had a great dinner there under the stars and enjoyed the bar as well.

it cost a small fortune to travel back and forth in a cab, we had the same driver for the duration of our stay, but we feel it is worth it, we eat late and are unfamiliar with the roads which are winding and dark...something we expect to pay when we vacation.

we did the circumnavigation power boat tour and it was great....spent the entire day speeding, snorkling, beach-hopping....loved it.

if you choose carlisle bay ask for a room on the third floor....the view is nice morning, noon and night. the room was heavenly, beautiful soaking tub overlooking the marsh, light some candles, order champagne...we had a blast....room service was quick and the staff were charming and fun.

i would return. i also read some bad reviews...we didnt have one problem while we were there. it can be hard deciding...blue waters looks great also...i think my deciding factor was the lack of AC at this resort ???

anyway, have a great time, antigua is gorgeous and the people are great. we will definately return.

Dec 16th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for these great details. Anyone else? Will a mother-daughter combo seem out of place there?
Jan 1st, 2007, 09:43 AM

We stayed at Blue waters about 4 years ago & it was excellent, I remember posting a review on www.wheretostay.com The only fault & not really a fault, was that the two beaches are fairly small, but never seemed to be a problem & it isn't far from St johns & the food was wonderful!
Sep 13th, 2007, 09:06 PM

Which resort on Antigua would anyone recommend for both luxury and a great kids program? Must also have a big beautiful, clear, calm beach! Would prefer an AI.