Anguilla vs. Provo, Turks and Caicos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been to both? I've gotten good feedback on Provo but am wondering if Anguilla would be better, combining St. Maarten. Calm waters are a must. Thanks!
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 03:09 AM

We have been to both ( I know I have answered you on Turks & Caicos questions) We LOVE Anguilla and have been twice, Turks many more times, the reason is ease of flights, for us it's one more leg of flying. We love Anguilla beaches, beautiful resorts, great food, calm water. Loves Cap Juluca and Cuisinart -have stayed at both. Others will have to weigh in if you are still looking at $400/night or less ( as you mentioned on Turks) Check out Trip Advisor too.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 03:51 AM

I posted on your calm water post.

I love Anguilla too-but with kids, prefer T&C. While most of the time Anguilla's waters have been calm, T&C is more consistent. Anguilla is more grown up, restaurants are upscale and more expensive than T&C (T&C is still expensive-Anguilla a little more.) Overall, resorts are a little more upscale in Anguilla, and more expensive than T&C. (T&C is still upscale, just has better and more MID range properties.) T&C is lot more kid friendly. Anguilla is alot harder to get too. Again, I love Anguilla, I've taken my child there, she loved it, but with kids still prefer T&C.

Also, the 20 minute ferry between Anguilla and St. Martin has been prone to waves big enough to make people sea sick.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 04:25 AM

Agree on sea sick..we went to St martin one day to shop ( ugh) and the ferry ride was so choppy and I could not wait to get off!!!
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much. I guess we'll stick to the T and C. I get horrible seasick so that is good to know as the allure of doing an Anguilla/St. Martin combo was there for a bit!
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 05:29 AM

As Blamona mentioned already, consider renting a car and taking the kids to Sapodilla Bay and Taylor bay for a day. Those beaches are perfect for little kids. Very shallow for many many yards and very calm. If you are very concerned about the calm waters issue, instead of staying on Grace bay beach (where all the resorts are) consider renting the villas along Sapodilla or Taylor bay. The negative ofcourse is that you don't have the resort amenities and they are about 20min or so away from the restaurants etc.

Another reason I would pick Turks when travelling with young kids is that most of the resorts are condo style and come with a full kitchen as well as washer/dryer which in my experience is very helpful when taking a trip with young kids. Not so on Anguilla.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 10:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with the above posts. We have been to all 3 islands mentioned.

We just returned from T&C, www.oceanclubresorts.com(Ocean Club West) and plan on taking our grandchildren there next year.

T&C is easy to get to, Grace Bay is a calm and gorgeous beach, and very kid friendly. Another kid friendly resort there is The Sands.

We loved Anguilla, and www.SBVillas.ai would be a great place for kids. It is harder to get to, but you can fly from St. Martin(just a short hop)instead of the ferry. You would need a car on Anguilla, but not T&C.

IMO, St. Martin is more for adults--good restaurants, shopping.

My vote is for Turks & Caicos!
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 04:19 AM

Just got back from Turks for honeymoon and went to Anguilla last year. We don't have children so I can't really comment too much on that.

We loved Turks but we liked Anguilla better. We stayed on Grace Bay in the Turks and Shoal Bay in Anguilla. While both beaches are beautiful, we thought Shoal Bay was better. They are both great, however. Maybe it was just the weather but there were better sunsets in Anguilla. The sand wasn't hot at all, while the sand at Grace Bay was slightly hot in places. The water seemed more blue/turquoise at Shoal Bay but they are both beautiful. Drove to a more private beach in Turks and Caicos that was probably the most beautiful beach I've ever seen.

As far as restaurants, Turks gives you more moderately priced restaurants. The food we had in Anquilla was better but I'm sure that has a lot to do with the restaurants you pick. Anguilla has mostly fine dining and the food there was pretty incredible. We also spent more money at the restaurants in Anguilla.

The roads are much better at the Turks. It is fairly easy to travel at either place. Turks was little more touristy.

I thought the people were about the same at both places. The people were probably slightly more friendly at Turks but no real complaints at either place.

If I had children, I would probably pick Turks for two major reasons: it's a much shorter and easier flight and there are more moderately priced restaurants. I would probably go to Florida if I had children but that's just me. I know I would have had more fun in Florida when I was a kid than either Turks or Anguilla.

If we were going back, we would probably go to Anguilla.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 06:47 PM

I've been to Turks twice, but not since Anguilla-I've been back there 9 times. I've taken my child since he was 4. When he was 5, he went snorkeling with Junior on the glass bottom boat. There are plenty of restaurants of various price category, but all are great! And if you go to St Maartin, there is a Butterfly garden, a Zoo, a McDonalds, and a small museum where one of the special effects guys from Star Wars has a Yoda.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Well, this is all great info to file away. We ended up in Grand Cayman. Never disappoints but next time, we'll do either Turks/Caicos or Anguilla.