suggestions for Xmas break hotel for family with 17 & 21 yr old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for someplace warm to go over Christmas break with our teen & no longer teen. We were thinking an AI with lots to do would be good. We all like the beach & water activities. Want somewhere that we can spend some time together & some apart. It doesn't have to be a particular island - although easy connections to the DC area would be great. In fact, we are also considering Mexico & I"m posting there as well.

I've looked at tripadvisor, but that doesn't rank hotels by whether they're appropriate for teens. And yes, I've already tried searching the forums with teen and didn't get much. Another issue, our kids like to hang out together - would that be a problem if one is under 18 and one over? In other words, would the 21 yo not be able to go to "teen" dances or activities and the 17 yo not able to go to the "adult" activities?

I was thinking maybe Club Med or Beaches, but am open to other suggestions. One website recommended the Barcelo Maya resort in the Yucatan. Have any of you had direct experiences with AI's that sound like they meet our needs? Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Iberostar Paraiso complex in Mexico's Riviera Maya would fit your needs. The age difference will be a problem at any of the resorts as 18 is the "drinking age" and the age needed to go to the "adulta" discos, etc.
Christmas is a VERY elxpensive time to travel. I travel at that time because it is when I am off from work. Some prices can be double at that time of year.
If you want Mexico or the DR, etc. look into Apple Vacations. They have some very reasonable package deals.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 06:48 AM

17 yr old is too young for club med. both are too old for beaches.
many of the larger ai chains in mex have clubs that open at 10-12 devoted to late teens. so if no longer teen will give up drinking for the night they could party together.
my good friend has been taking her fam to maya riviera for years. her kids are all in clg now - her most recent recommendations are: Bahia Principe, Catalonia, Iberostar. the ones closest to playa del carman. she says some are in more/less gated communities so only those with wrist bands can even drive down the road to club. her rule has been kids can stay out as late as they wish so long as they DO NOT leave the club!!!!!
take a long look through locogringo.com Excellent site with info on everything. places to stay, eat, options for activities & how to do them. great pics of everything. when you look at specific clubs - on the bottom of the page is a tiny airplane. click to see aerial view of resort and beach.
note: many resorts require 2 week stay for xmas/new years.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 08:20 AM

Just keep in mind that even though you may be in the Caribbean, it will be late December, so some islands, like the Bahamas, may not be very warm. I was in Freeport a few years back and the air temps were only in the upper 70's and the water was only 70 degrees as well, and with the north wind, it was to brisk for anyone to be in the water. So heading further south may be important to you. I also would highly recommend the Mayan Riviera and I really liked the Barcelo Resorts. Hope you have a great trip.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 05:49 AM

Have you ever thought about going on a cruise? I have 2 daughters that are 2 and a half years apart and love to go on cruises with us. Go to the Southern Caribbean. It can be chilly further north in the Caribbean at that time. We took a cruise out of Tampa and when we departed it was 40 degrees. It stayed chilly the entire first day of our trip until we arrived in the Cayman Islands. We cruised the Southern Caribbean and the rest of the week it was warm. A cruise is sort of like an all inclusive, although you pay for your alcohol, soda, and excursions. You mentioned connections to the DC area, check out the different cruise lines, some of them have cruises that go out of Baltimore. That's really convienient for someone who lives in the DC area.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful advice. Yes, we realize the weather is an issue. Definitely want to be able to swim! Leaning towards the Mayan Riviera now as it's warm, there are nonstops from the DC area & there's lots of other stuff to do. Although if you've been someplace great on a southern Caribbean island, please suggest it. Not really interested in a cruise. Oh yes, and I know Christmas break is the busiest and most expensive time to go, but that's when everyone's available.

So far, people have suggested Iberostar Paraiso, Bahia Principe, Catalonia. Any place else you recommend with the 17 & 21 yo? BTW, onsite snorkeling would be a plus.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If on site snorkeling is a plus,take a look at the Barcelo resort in Mexico's Rivier Maya. It's a HUGE resort with a very nice beach and some snorkeling right off the beach.
If you want a less impressive (three star) resort with just the basics of an AI, look at the Akumal Beach Resort. Akumal is known for it's snorkeling, but is a longer ride from the airport.