Search

Anguilla questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 06:38 PM
Graham

Anguilla questions

We are planning our next vacation, and are intrigued with Anguilla. Much to our surprise, vacation rentals exist within our budget! Is it too good to be true? Can anyone offer their experience?<BR>Is it true that our best connection for NE USA flight would be thru STM?<BR>Kind thanks for your help...

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 03:41 AM
Penny

Hi Graham, glad you are intrigued anguilla. It has lots of nice places to rent and if you go over to the very active www.caribbean-on-line.com/forums (go to Anguilla forum ) there are many posters who have stayed at villas and will share their experience. It is not to good to be true. <BR>As far as flying into the island many prefer to go thru San Juan. I prefer to fly non stop into St. Martin and catch a ferry. The best is waht works for you! <BR>

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 06:12 AM
gab

I just booked a trip to Anguilla for January. My travel agent warned me against flying into St. Martin because she says the 20-minute ferry ride is difficult to endure. Instead, we're flying to San Juan and from there flying directly to Anguilla.

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 06:27 AM
Karen

Less than 24 hours ago I was floating in the wonderful water off Cap Juluca! What a glorious spot and was so glad I had decided to make a return trip to AXA! Both times I flew out of EWR (Newark) and changed in San Juan for the flight directly into AXA on AA. I did do a "day trip" to SXM (okay, now that's out of my system) and altho the ferry rocked and rolled a bit, it wasn't a bad trip at all but it was a bumpy trip lasting only about 20 minutes. I've experienced some worse trips between STT and STJ. I much prefer being on island and in the water within a hour of landing rather than having even more traveling ahead and waiting for the ferry, etc. But our first plan was to fly into and out of SXM staying over to explore SXM a bit. Glad that never worked out since I spent a few hours there on Monday! <BR>More to come later! What a fantastic place and I do love that island! Have no trouble understanding the glorious reviews that Cap gets - it was even better than I expected and I expected "perfection!"

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 10:33 AM
penny

The only comment I can give about the ferry is it is not a bad trip-hey I have gotten sea sick on a sailboat! I have done the ferry round trip at least 8 times. I hate to change planes, but a lot of people fly the San Juan-AXA and have not complaints. We are usually on the island of Anguilla and Cap Juluca by 2:30.<BR>Karen-glad you had perfection!!!

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 12:55 PM
stephanie

The ferry ride is no big deal. I've gotten sea sick before on a dive boat, and the ferry ride was nothing like that. I suppose it depends on the time of year you go - i.e. if weather makes the seas rougher during different seasons. If you can't get a flight into Anguilla, don't fret simply over the ferry ride. The biggest problem I see with it is like mentioned before me the fact that you have a little more logistics and travel - getting from airport to other side of island to catch ferry to Anguilla.<BR><BR>Wish I were going! Hope it works out.

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Geri

My husband and I rented Splash! villa for 10 nights last June. It is a beautiful 3 bedroom villa, very private location, nice pool, jacuzzi tub in master bedroom with great view of St. Martin. The owners live on the island and are very gracious www.splash.ai is the website. It is not located on a beach, but there are wonderful views from the house and pool of the sea and St. Martin. There are very few villa rentals directly on the beaches of Anguilla because the government wants those areas saved for resorts. A big plus about Anguilla is the lack of biting insects because the breeze blows them away and the island is rather arid. We prefer flying into San Juan with a connection to Anguilla. Have also taken the ferry from St. Martin. It was a rough ride, but not unbearable.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 11:45 AM
anne

Does anyone know the prices for the ferry to Anguilla from St. Martin and the $ for the air from San Juan?