Anguilla or BVI?

Apr 27th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Original Poster

Anguilla or BVI?

Hi travelers,

I'm planning a vacation this summer with my boyfriend, and we were thinking of going to Peter Island in the BVI or to Cap Juluca or Malliouhana on Anguilla. We went to Biras Creek last summer and loved it, save for the beach. We'd like to try a new spot this year, something quiet and relaxing but still luxurious, with great food and fabulous beaches. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance!
Apr 28th, 2006, 05:30 AM

The beaches on Anguilla are superior to those in the BVI. The beach at Cap is great. PI beach I think is nice also but not too many beaches can compare to Cap. Anguilla however is a dry/scrubby island and the virgin islands have a more scenic topograhpy (hills/greenery).
Apr 28th, 2006, 08:37 AM
RAB

Anguilla can provide all the luxury you want, plus a lot of excellent beaches and reataurants. Peter Island is basically just the resort. Good enough beach, but if you want any variety you have to take the boat to Tortola.
Apr 28th, 2006, 09:35 AM

Another vote for Cap in Anguilla.
Apr 28th, 2006, 12:21 PM

If snorkeling isn't impt to you, Aguilla might be more enjoyable. Much more variety in beaches and restaurants. But PI is more handsome-- more like Biras Creek-- in term of topography. Cap rooms are more luxurious than PI or Biras. (nice choices!)
Apr 28th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'm leaning towards Cap Juluca, but I've read a number of negative reviews about Cap Juluca on tripadvisor.com. Some of the postings on that site say that the rooms at CJ are looking tired and that there are problems with the hotel's staff complaining to guests about not being paid enough by management. All the guidebooks I've read are very positive on CJ. Has anyone been recently?
Apr 29th, 2006, 07:29 AM

Instead of Cap you might consider a villa at Cove Castles on Shoal Bay Beach West. Very nice property. Excellent restaurants on Anguilla.
Apr 29th, 2006, 10:06 AM

Just got back from Cap Juluca and Covecastles. I enjoy them both--but they are both very different. We split our time as CJ could not take us for our whole trp.Its just that popular! We were at CJ in November, Febuary and now this April. So we decided to give Covecastles a try. Its on a lovely beach,but small part of that beach is rocky.
This is a very private complex, no bar service, no beach service,no lunch time restaurant, no water skiing--they do have kyacks-no real water sports like CJ. Its a villa complex--they do have room service for breakfast, and lunch---but not 24 hour like CJ. They do all have kitchens, all with a nice set up. Modular bathrooms, nothing special. I must admit we did enjoy
our stay ---nice change for sure. It really depends what you are looking for.

Cap is a full service hotel. It has wonderful marble bathrooms too. The hotel is still great---not shabby at all. The beach is stunning, and has the best sand --in the water and on the shore.

Kemia is my favorite dining spot at CJ,
also Georges is set right smack in the middle of the beach. Its all about beach.

As for great food--dining on Anguilla is part of the fun. Too many choices! Beachs--even though Shoal Bay East is constantly rated the best--its hard to beat Maunday's Bay---its stunning. Once I settle into my beach chair I find it hard to explore all the other glorious
beaches on Anguilla.

Apr 30th, 2006, 06:57 AM

Been to both. Big edge to BVI. I dive and snorkel so that's really important for me. Hubby could just pick up his gear and walk 30 steps right into the water at PI and snorkel.

The beaches at PI were beautiful but only a few of them compared to Anguilla which has 30+. Beaches are gorgeous in Anguilla. No doubt about it.

You have to decide whether or not you want to go to a resort only or want to leave the resort for anything. The food on Anguilla was great and a very good variety/scene. PI after 4 days I tired of the same scene for dinner. Not the food mind you just the scene.

I would not return to CJ unless it was in a pool villa. Junior suites were dumpy. Was there Dec 2005. You have a right to be concerned about the postings. CJ's only saving grace IMHO was the beach and the beach service. I get angry to think that I spent $800+ for such a unimpressive room. Anyone on this board who says that CJ's rooms are beautiful must be kidding. Beachfront suites at PI were much nicer. It felt clean (but then again I went right after the PI suites renovation in 2001).

Cove Castles looked much nicer. I'm waiting for the St Regis in Anguilla to open up but probably would not return to the island since it's too much of a pain to get to and the snorkeling/diving is #1 for me.

The spa at CJ was nonexistant compared to what I've seen at PI through their website. CJ they are building. Although we had massages in our rooms which was nice.

Staff certainly was nicer at PI. Seemed happy about their job and daily ongoings of life. Mgt at CJ seemed boastful at gatherings and staff tired and grumpy. My observation. Cleaning staff was MUCH better at PI. Don't get me started about the dove droppings on the balconies of CJ. Or the mirrors that were never cleaned. OR the flourescent lighting. Or the stains in the marble. Or the nonexistant view as the palm trees obstructed it. We complained to CJ mgt. The response was "you should be happy to be here" and "we are fully booked". Sorry. I travel too much to be treated like a second class citizen and that's how I felt at CJ. I was treated much better at PI (even the picnic lunch over to the other side of the island was absolutely great). Food was great too.

I will tell you one thing that stays warm to my heart about Anguilla. We walked everywhere in the SW part of the island and it was really nice on a full moon night to walk from CJ down the dirt road to Picante's. I really loved their food. Just bring a flashlight and you can walk to Mangoes, Picante's, Altamer, etc. It's only 15-20 mins or so. The locals thought we were crazy to walk - silly really esp if you are used to walking in NYC and I'm assuming this based on your name.
Apr 30th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Penny and Newyorkergal! This is great info. After five days at Biras, I was ready for a change of scene, so I think I might get the same feeling at PI. PI seems like it would be a friendlier place than CJ, based on the celeb factor, which is a concern of mine. (I am not going to Anguilla for any kind of 'scene' - there's enough of that in New York!) I don't think I'm interested in Covecastles, since I like being in a full-service hotel. Any thoughts on Malliouhana? I've heard great things about their spa and restaurants. I would like to try Anguilla, but don't want to regret my hotel choice. I'm thinking of booking the 'luxury' room category at either spot, not a junior suite. Is that a big mistake?

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.
May 1st, 2006, 03:41 AM

The luxury rooms at Cj are all beachfront, nice size---actually very much like the junior suite--so I would not hesitate to go in that direction. I also would not worry about the celeb factor at CJ or Malli---they do believe it or not blend in-and lets face it they are mostly on the island at Christmas.

Malliouhana is perched on a bluff above Mead's Bay--so if the beach is important it is not at your doorstep. It does have a huge wonderful spa. I stayed in a junior suite a few years ago-very nice. It all comes down to personal choice.
May 1st, 2006, 10:16 AM

I thought Cuisinart was now the place to go on Anguilla. Seems to get the best reviews on TripAdvisor.