Anguilla accommodations for 6

Jun 11th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Anguilla accommodations for 6

Never been to Anguilla before but eager to see the gorgeous beaches. We usually vacation in a villa-type accommodation. My husband and I and our daughter, her husband and 2 girls - ages 15 and 12.

Can someone suggest a really nice place that's affordable for us. We'd like to go in July 2005 (I'm planning way ahead) and would like to spend about $300-$350/night total. Is this possible?

I've been told that years ago many of the villas did not have reliable electrical service - possibly this has changed. I'd like a problem free holiday.

Can people who know the island well, point me in the right direction.

We love calm waters and would like to have a pool also. I'd love Cap Juluca but prices are a bit high.

I help people out a lot with information on Barbados and I'm hoping there's someone out there who can now help me.

Thanks,

Lois
Jun 11th, 2004, 10:59 AM

Hi Lois,

2 villas that come to mind in your price range with pools are Bow Green at $375/night (www.bowgreen.com) & Palm Shores at $365/night www.anguillavilla.com). Both are nice -- Bow Green is a short walk to Rendezvous Bay & Palm Shores is on Corito Bay. Someone on another forum just posted a trip report of her time at Palm Shores (with parents & sibs) & everyone liked it immensely. Mycaribbean.com lists many of the villas. There are also a number of very recent Anguilla trip reports at caribbean-on-line.com (Go to Anguilla Forum) and anguillaforum.com.
Jun 11th, 2004, 11:08 AM

Lois, I have only been to Barbados one time. Its a beautiful island, large by Anguilla standards, with lots to see
and do. I can tell you the beaches on Anguilla are long, not rocky, white white sand, no jet skis, no jolly roger,
just wonderful. Lots of little waterfront stand only restaurants. My first beach bar restaurant experience
was on the island of Barbados, on Mullins Bay. At that time it was owned
by the owners of Treasure Beach, may have been called The Monkey Bar. As Mary posted lots of info on carribean on line, also go to www.news.ai!
Jun 11th, 2004, 11:14 AM

Wow, I totally forgot about a villas near Shoal Bay East (more activity for the young'uns) -- Tortue (tortuevilla.com). I looked on the website for the rates & they're showing $2,000/wk in the summer for 3 bedrooms & $2,400 for 4 bedrooms. Doesn't look right for the size, location and amenities but that's what it says. Some of the posters on the on caribbean-on-line have been going to Anguilla for 10-20 years so you're likely to get all your questions answered by pros there.
Jun 11th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Mary - I'll start to check these places out. I tried the news site, but get nothing -is it www.newsai.com ? or what.

Penny - Mullins on Barbados has changed hands a few times. Now it's Suga Suga - still a beach bar but more stuff there now.

Just thought Anguilla might be a chnage-of-pace if we can find the right accommodation.

Lois
Jun 11th, 2004, 12:12 PM

www.news.ai -- there are links at the top of the home page to all the resorts, villas, restaurants & beaches. It's a small island compared to Barbados (11,000 & just 15 miles long) so there won't be as many choices. Rendezvous Bay, Meads Bay & Shoal Bay East are some of the nicest with reasonable accommodation on all (villas are not usually located directly on beaches).
Jun 11th, 2004, 01:38 PM

Lois, I just wanted to add there are lots of very nice villas on the island. Mary is a big help, she has lots of knowledge. Electrical service is a new one on me, never read about a problem. I do know Anguilla got service in the 70's. Lois there is lots of building going on, lots of nice villas,
I think you will find what you are looking for! BTW I loved our vacation in Barbados, the best sunsets I have ever seen!
Jun 12th, 2004, 07:42 AM
NM

Lois: Our family of 4 goes to Anguilla every year and stays in a villa. I have looked at and stayed in many villas with pools/beach, etc. This is what I recommend in your price range:
Blue Gate--centrally located with pool--not on beach a little remote. I haven't been inside but have seen the outside.
Seaclusion--right on ocean with pool. A bit of a bumpy ride to get to it but it has gorgeous views and water access--also inexpensive.
LaSirena villas--there are a no. of 3 bdrm. villas at this hotel. You get your own villa but can access hotel services. 2 pools and short walk to wonderful Meads Bay.
Please feel free to email me with ques.also go to www.news.ai and on the top click on villa's to see these villas except LaSirena (click on hotels for pictures) There are also villas at Shoal Bay but we like to stay at the West End closer to more restaurants.
Jun 14th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

NM:

Thanks for all your input. Both Blue Gate and Seaclusion look nice and in summer are $335/night, so affordable.

I guess we want a fantastic property with pool that has good management too. We had a fabulous villa in St. Thomas and also one in Barbados last year and we're spoiled now.

Never having been to the island, we do want a nice pool to enjoy, but also want to be near all of the calm, gorgeous waters in the bays we see.

So you are saying either of these 2 would be good plus are close to restaurants? I'm assuming lots of others are quite a drive to everything. How long does it take you to get around the island when it says something is a bit of a drive (like some of the beaches from certain villas)?

I don't know how to write you directly.

Thanks again,

Lois
Jun 14th, 2004, 06:23 PM

Lois, just a thank you for your help while I planned our trip to Barbados over Easter this year. Our trip was fantastic. I agree with you on the location and beach at Coral Sands. Thanks.
Jun 14th, 2004, 07:36 PM
NM

Lois: Seaclusion is in the middle of the island near Little Harbour but the road off of the main road takes about 7 minutes to get to (closest restaurant would be Straw Hat). Blue Gate is also pretty centrally located but closer to the west end and many great restaurants--Mangos, Blanchards, etc. No where on Anguilla takes all that long to get to--probably--35-40 min. from main road end to end. A factor to wear you down are roads with huge ruts and bumps--that's a bit more true in getting to Seaclusion but again it has a pool and water access. Hard to go wrong on Anguilla--it truly is paradise. Good luck and let me know if you have other questions. NM
Jun 15th, 2004, 03:18 AM

We rented a beautiful well appointed villa with swimming pool and wonderful views of St. Martin. Inexpensive I think $2000 per week. You will love it.

www.mainstayvilla.com