Search

What is the weather like in Oct.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the weather like in Oct.

Hi,
My wife and friends of ours our sailing in the Grenadines this October. We were curious what the conditions are like in October? I have looked at weather sites but I just wanted some first hand experience of sailing there in October. thanks
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 03:22 PM

you might want to repost with st.v&s's in the title or address to vinceygirl as she is resident sailing expert for those islands.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 05:22 PM

Thanks for the kudos virginia. I'm not a sailing expert but do visit SVG usually sometime between Oct and Dec 1st. October is still part of the rainy season. Showers on a daily basis are likely but clear up with a few rainbows thrown in for good measure. There have been times when I have seen 3 rainbows within one hour. What a show. The sun comes out and you're good to go. In traveling there since 1992 I have only encountered a really bad week of weather and that was in 2003. I was there the first week of November and it rained much of the the 12 days. So it can be a crapshoot as far as the weather goes. Still don't let it curtail your plans, as quickly as it starts it will just as quickly be over. Any day in the Grenadines is better than no days in the Grenadines.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Vinceygirl,
I do not mind the occasional showers, if that is what we get. What are the wind, currents, and sailing conditions like in October that you have experienced?
James
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi Vinceygirl,
Where is a good place to scuba dive for lobsters in the Grenadines?
Thanks
James
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 04:57 PM

Greenlite I'd love to be able to tell you about sailing conditions and where to dive for lobster but as I posted to virginia I'm not an expert on sailing or diving but I do know a bit about SVG because I have been lucky enough to have friends who are native Vincentians. I have been visiting them since 1992. Here is a website I frequently visit for info on SVG www.caribbeantravelforum.com and then click on to St. Vincent and the Grenadines. There is a wealth of info with many links to what you are looking for.

I have sailed the waters from Grenada to St. Lucia but via Windjammer Barefoot Cruises so can't offer any info except the distance from St. Vincent up the Leeward coast to St. Lucia can be challenging

Believe it or not once upon atime I went completely around the island in a fishing boat. My friends fish for a living and on weekends use the boat for pleasure. No frills, no canopy just full speed ahead. That day was the trip of a lifetime. The difference between the 2 coasts is amazing. We traveled up the Leeward and around the tip of northern St.V then down the Windward side to Indian Bay which is the southern most point of the mainland. I have also done this by vehicle. My prayer is the government realizes what a jewel it has and developes tourism with caution. St. Vincent is the way the Caribbean used to be before tourism hit. Little by little progress has crept in. Some for the good and of course not so good.

It remains one of my most favorite destinations. I look forward to visiting as often as I can.
I think once you visit you just might agree.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi Vinceygirl,
Thanks for the information. What can you tell me about the bat caves on St. Vincent? Do we need to be concerned about mosquitoes while on St. Vincent or any of the other islands? Thanks.
James
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 04:05 PM

Bats are not something I know anything about and have no desire too.
Mosquitoes and sand fleas can happen anywhere. I usually come home bit up. I have yet to use any repellant. Foolish maybe but I'll take my chances. Can't get past the thought of chemicals being absorbed thru my skin. Seems the bites were worse in February than the fall.