All Inclusive Resort near or in town

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm looking for all inclusive resorts on the beach, but when as soon as you exit the resort you are in a town (streets, shopping, restaurants, boardwalk, bars, churches, attractions, etc.). I don't want resorts where you have to take a 15 minute cab or bus to get to town.

The only resorts I've found are in Mexico:

-Playa Los Arcos in Puerto Vallarta
-Royal Playa Del Carmen & Playacar Palace in Playa Del Carmen.

Basically as soon as you exit these resorts you are immediately in town and in the action. What are similar resort options in the carribean? It's so hard to find any, it seems most resorts are usually in isolated resort areas that are not within walking distance to towns? Anything similar to the 3 that I mentionned? Thanks!
Old May 1st, 2014, 12:57 AM

In general, isn't that the whole point of AIs, that they are in places where it is difficult to find local restaurants (or they are very expensive) or isolated from a town? Often, local restaurants cannot compete with AIs and close down.

There are exceptions, as you mentioned. Cozumel Palace is another one, where you walk out of the door and are close to town, but it is not on a beach although it is seafront. Don't think there is much action in San Miguel but there are bars and restaurants, some local sightseeing.

Have you checked the hotel zone in Cancun for AIs? There are restaurants and shopping malls but it is a very long zone to walk.

Varadero in Cuba is also a very long strip and there is no town to speak of, there are couple bars and clubs but not much else apart from that.

Rodney Bay/Reduit Beach in St Lucia has some AI hotels and is within walking distance of a town which has several restaurants and bars.
Old May 1st, 2014, 03:18 AM

You found the ones that exist.

Goes against AI to be near towns, most keep you inside the properties by nature to use the extras, spas, excursions etc.

Restaurants and especially bars don't survive against AI, why pay from drinks when you don't have to?

Another thing, most beach resorts aren't close to town and require transportation. If interested, chances are you won't find regular resorts close to towns. Beaches are the resort strip, towns are were people work.

It truly is an oxymoron

Gotta ask, are you against driving or transportation?
Why AI if wanting outside things?
Why not Playa?
Old May 1st, 2014, 03:42 AM
WWK

Not quite in town, though only 10 minutes from downtown Cancun by bus/taxi: LIVE AQUA, which is across the street from an upscale mall filled with restaurants, boutiques, bars, etc. It's also a short taxi ride away from an amazing Argentinian steakhouse, and many of the hotels along the beach.

LIVE AQUA is an adults-only resort with seven swimming pools, spa,gym, quiet uncrowded beachfront, excellent service, and some exceptionally large rooms ( look at The AQUA SUITE).
Old May 1st, 2014, 06:33 AM
KVR

I have been to both Playa Los Arcos in Puerto Vallarta
and the Royal Playa Del Carmen. I loved the Royal Playa del Carmen and recommend often. They have a sister/family resort across the street; The Grand Porto Real that is also AI.

I do not recommend the Playa Los Arcos unless you research it thoroughly and know exactly what you are getting. As you, we picked that resort due to location, but it's a 2 - 3 star hotel. The rooms are quite small and barren, food is not that great and the beach is practically unswimmable. We chose those types of AI resorts so we can have the best of both worlds without feeling like we are obligated to the AI hotel alone.

Also, look at the Oasis Viva resort in Cancun. Actually most any AI hotel in the hotel zone of Cancun is walkable to most everything. They even offer a walking bar tour as everything is pretty well close together.

Also, the Marina Fiesta in Cabo San Lucas. The Marina Fiesta in on the Marina and not beach front. It's a 5 minute walk to Medano Beach, but the water there is iffy and not something we wanted to get into anyway. The resort offers their AI at some of the Marina restaurants. We found the food there to be really good on and off the property.

Another choice would be Aruba. We stayed at the Holiday Inn on Palm Beach and did their AI plan. Just walk across the street to tons of bars, restaurants, shopping and entertainment. We didn't care for the food so much at the HI, but it was good for breakfast and drinks. The RIU and Occidential down the way are probably better choices for AI.

We have stayed at many AI resorts throughout Mexico and the Caribbean and there are not many within walking distance of the local town/city.
Old May 1st, 2014, 08:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Puerto Vallarta has exactly what you ask for. On the south-side the All-Inclusives are Playa Los Arcos and San Marino. But there are lots more up in the Hotel Zone and Marina districts.
Old May 1st, 2014, 08:51 AM

Negril Jamaica also has a few of what you are asking about, but the town is very small and only a couple of the AI's are on the 7-mile beach (others are more isolated). It's a great set up but I'm not sure I'd call it "action". It's very laid back there.
Old May 1st, 2014, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I know my request is a little contradictory but It's not for me I want to send my parents on their first trip. My dad told me that he wants AI to relax (not worry about where to eat/drink) but that he would love in the evening to walk out of the resort sometimes and see shops, restaurants and basically some town where there's some life. He doesn't want to be taking buses or taxis for that.

Personally I've been to Playa Los Arcos and enjoyed the fact that I was AI but we went to town, malecon, walking around every day. It was all by walking and I enjoyed that. I'm sure if I was not located in town I would have taken the bus to get there only a couple of times. But I would not send my parents there because the rooms & food are very basic and limited quality. (But i knew what I was getting into and had a great vacation because of the location).

That's why I'm thinking of sending them to the Royal because it's right next to 5th avenue and the town. That hotel I know will be good. I was looking for other similar options in the carribean but I see that it's gonna be difficult. As for Cancun I've heard that it's not the best place so I'm leaning towards Playa del Carmen (i haven't been to either). I'll look at the other options like hilton in Aruba too... thanks.
Old May 1st, 2014, 11:53 AM

Then look at Villa Premiere (it's an excellent AI, the best one that is right downtown in Puerto Vallarta).
Old May 1st, 2014, 01:33 PM
KVR

I would go with the Royal Playa del Carmen. It's a very nice 4* AI resort. Not a low budget hotel like the Los Arcos in PV. I agree, I knew what I was getting into with the Los Arcos, but I would never send my parents there either. The Royal they will get the best of AI and the town.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 03:12 PM

I think Puerto Vallarta has a lot more going for it that Playa del Carmen, so depends if the resort is more important, or the town (to this request).
Old May 2nd, 2014, 06:22 PM
KVR

I do not agree with that comment, but rarely do Suze and I agree. She vacations often in PV and has never been to the Maya Riveria/Playa del Carmen area. I have vacationed in the Maya Riveria many times and have been to PV and Cabo each one time. I have found that the Maya Riveria has way more going for it than PV or Cabo. Hence the multiple trips. We are returning again in a few weeks.

PV and Cabo are not known for the AI resorts. The Maya Riveria area is the place for AI resorts if that is what you are specifically looking for.
Old May 4th, 2014, 08:54 AM

I have never been to the Mayan side that's true, but Vallarta is a much larger city than PdC. Hence my 'more going on' comment.

I'd say the same about PV vs Cabo (both which I have been to) because Cabo is simply so much smaller.