All inclusive or Cruise - High End

Nov 29th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

All inclusive or Cruise - High End

Hello, My sister and I are trying to plan a 70th B-day for Mom combined with my parent's 50th anniversay and have though allot about a cruise or an all-inclusive resort somewhere we can get to fairly easily from Tampa, Florida.

We want nice beach area for swimming and floating and nearby area for snorkeling or diving.

We want something that has nightlife (shows or gambling) so when parents hit the pillow, we can have something fun to do.

Daytime activies that we can sign-up for if we want (massages, or golf or fishing etc)

We want good food and service.

We want upscale 5 star if possible.

We are looking at all-inclusive so that we don't have to plan meals and events and we can enjoy ourselves.

The people will include adults from ages 40 to 75 and a few kids but none younger that 12 so kiddie type place is not necessary but adults only won't do either.

Please give me some ideas. I've looked all over the fodor boards but the choices are overwhelming.

Trip is for May 2005
Nov 30th, 2004, 05:15 AM

You may want to look into Secrets Excellence in the Mayan Riviera. Sans Souci and Grand Lido Negril in Jamaica might be great options too. Paradisus Puerto Rico is another idea. Good Luck!
Nov 30th, 2004, 10:00 AM

All inclusive is a better deal especially upscale since you do not pay for drinks like in cruise.
Either Riviera Maya or anywhere in Caribbean is easy flight from Tampa.

I must correct the previous posters - Secrets and Grand Lido in Jamaica do not except children (under 18) so you cannot go there.
Paradisus is OK in Puerto Rico.

In Mexican Riviera, upscale, nice resorts will be Riu Palace, new resort Iberostar Paraiso Lindo. There is also Also Royal Hideaway (might favorite), however min age of kids is 13 I beleive.
Iberostar will have more kids.

Caribbean islands I can suggest Aruba - few all-inclusive there, however, I love their restaurants. Some all-inclusive in Aruba offer dine-around plan. Atlantis has a lot's of things to do, and you can get a meal plan there.
Check out
http://emcoinc.com/travel/html/Caribbean/caribbea.htm
and Mexico
http://emcoinc.com/travel/html/Mexico/index.htm
It all depends on your budget and dates of travel.
You can email me if you wish

sophia
Nov 30th, 2004, 10:16 AM

Ian Fleming's estate 'Goldeneye' in Orcabessa, about 10 minutes past Ocho Rios (nightlife for you) might well fit
your special holiday/anniversary/birthday wish list.
Fly into MoBay.
Nov 30th, 2004, 12:44 PM

Based on the time of year you'll be traveling, I wouldn't choose a cruise. By May, the premium lines will have move their ships to Europe or Alaska for the season. You're left with only a few mass market ships in the Caribbean to choose from. These ships (with perhaps the exception of Holland America's Zuiderdam) would not provide the upscale atmosphere you're seeking.

I personally like tivertonhouse's idea of renting the Fleming house at Goldeneye. I toured Goldeneye in May (we stayed at the Jamaica Inn) and it's a place I'd love to try - beautiful grounds, very, very private. I don't know if that's the kind of atmosphere you're looking for or if you prefer a larger resort type atmosphere?
Nov 30th, 2004, 01:34 PM

I also think Aruba is a great destination, but have to agree that their restaurants are too good for all inclusive. How about the Atlantis in the Bahamas? It is close enough for a quick flight from FL. It is definitely upscale. I would stay in the Royal Towers and pre pay the gourmet meal plan. The meals are taken care of then.(breakfast and dinner) Your drinks will be seperate and so are gratuities. There is a nice beach area/calm and a rough side. There is gambling. There are slides (the adults will like these also). There is good food and a party atmosphere. We prepaid the meal plan (our group did not organize this and we had different ones). We did the gourmet and we had to eat, eat, eat! I would probably wing it next time, but with a group, it is great to prepay so no one feels obligated to pick up the dinner tab. (Which can be crazy expensive!) It was a fun place for a group and we had 14 people. Our group was anywhere from 2 years old to 75! Everyone enjoyed themselves.