All-Inclusive

Mar 23rd, 2006, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

All-Inclusive

Hi all-
We are thinking off trying out an all-inclusive resort. I want to hear of other peoples experiences. Thanks!

Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:20 AM

We like the AI route when we are traveling with another family. Not having to worry about meals with multiple adults and children makes vacationing sooooo much better and hassle free. However, when it's just my family or even just the two of us, we do not go all-inclusive.
Mar 24th, 2006, 04:37 AM
KVR

We go AI whenever possible. Prefer to pay upfront and know what the total price is going to be. Also like the convenience of eating on property and not having to find/travel to a restuarant. We tend to eat/drink more on vacation and not having to be concerned with a high bar tab is also nice.

We've done non-AI in Hawaii and spent $1,600 on food and drink. Haven't done another non-AI vacation since. However, we are going to T & C in May and Aruba in Sept. and had to go non-AI at those destinations due to AI properties not as readily available and exhorbant prices of the AI plans that were offered.

What destination are you considering? We like the smaller hotels in Mexico. The Real and RIU properties and have been to 2 Sandals resorts. We've considered going to Jamaica and would probably go to a Couples resort.
Mar 24th, 2006, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

We want to stay away from Jamaica, I know that the majority of the AI's are in Jamaica.
Mar 26th, 2006, 07:22 PM

For us, it depends on the island and if we are able to get to/from the restauarnts easily. This is the determining factor as to whether we book an all-inclusive or not. When we go to Aruba, Bahamas, Bermuda etc, all of these islands have multiple choices in restaurants and they all have good reliable public and private transportation so we don't see a need for the all-inclusive program. Islands such as Jamaica or St Lucia, we would not want to rent a car nor did we see good public transportation available in the island therefore we booked the all-inclusive package.

I think it just depends on were you are going and were you are staying.
Mar 27th, 2006, 05:13 AM

WE've had great experiences with AIs in Punta Cana and the Riviera Maya.
Mar 28th, 2006, 07:13 AM

We've done a couple of AI's. One because we were going to Jamaica. We drank our share of Red Stripe's so that was probably a good choice. Plus the resort provided us with nightly entertainment and we were working so hard at that time that it was nice to be able to veg a little. We've also done AI's with friends who have lived in other parts of the country as they prefer to travel this way, and we've used the time to be together and have a week-long vacation with them. Contrary to popular belief, we have had some good food. Some has been buffet, but all that we've gone to have given you a choice of sit-down restaurants as well. Mostly, I would tell you that if you are on an island known for good food, don't do an AI as you will miss so much. And even if you choose the all-inclusive, make sure you get out and see some of the island. After all, you've gone such a long way and spent the money to fly that distance.
Mar 28th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

I agree that going all that way and not seeing the island would be foolish, however, I wouldn't want to wander off a resort if the island is unsafe to do so. What islands would you consider to be safe to wander around? We are right now leaning towards Turks & Cacos (not spelled right, I know)
Mar 28th, 2006, 10:00 AM

We have been to antigua to Blue Waters & Galley bay, both excellent & food very good. I think the best food we had was at Coco Reef on tobago. Antigua is quite safe to walk around
Mar 29th, 2006, 05:52 AM

The only two islands I can think of that I would be uncomfortable leaving at night would be Jamaica and St. Lucia. There are people that will come after me and say there are no islands and get particularly upset that I said that about Jamaica, but we were told that even by locals. So, I stand by my opinion. This does not mean I do not recommend people visit Jamaica, because I have a very soft spot in my heart for it. It is truly paradise.
Mar 29th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

I have been to Jamaice via Cruising. It is a beautiful island, however, when I am driving through a village and there are police standing on the streets with automatic machine guns, and the shopping centers have guarded gates,I don't consider that a safe place to walk around.
Mar 29th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

How about Curcao or The Dominican Republic, how are these areas? Safe?