New Island Destination Ideas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just joined this site looking for info, however in the future I hope to be able to provide advice/opinions to other seekers in a "pay it forward" kind of way. My husband and I (30's, no kids, newlyweds) are looking for a NEW destination (virgin island maybe?) for an October/November week long vaca. We love beach and pools. We are drinkers and foodies therefore have always preferred all inclusive. We have ruled out Jamaica, DR, and Mexico. I have been researching Aruba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, PR, and some other USVI. Yes- the choices have my head spinning. I wouldn't mind booking in a villa or someplace on the beach where we could get water and groceries nearby, and then be able to go someplace close that has nightlife and places to eat dinner etc. OR an all inclusive resort where the food doesn’t suck and the rooms don't smell (3.5 starts or higher?). Our favorite resort was The Royal in Cancun as a baseline of what kind of AI we loved. BUT we did just come back from Hawaii (stayed with my brother who is in the military) and we actually got to experience the Island instead of being confined to one spot, that’s why I think we would consider doing a villa or condo. Any suggestions, tips, would be appreciated- thanks!
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 10:59 AM
KVR

Of the islands you menetioned, Bermuda and Bahamas may be too cool to enjoy at that time of the year.

Aruba has ton of dining/bar options in all price ranges so going AI there is not advisible.

If you still want AI look at Barbados, Antigua, Grenada or St. Lucia.

We did not care for St. Thomas or St. John. St. Thomas is a little sketchy at night for us and you really need a car/taxi to get around. St. John is too rustic for us. Just not destinations that we enjoyed.

You might look at Curacao also. We stayed at the Lions Dive in a 2 bed/2 bath apartment with a full kitchen. They had 3 restaurants on site and many more within walking distance. Also a free shuttle to a grocery store on a daily basis. You really need a car there to get around.

There are tons of condo units in Grand Cayman and Turks and Caicos. You really need a car in T & C.

We have stayed at the Royal Playa del Carmen so can understand your point of referrence. We have done 16 AI vacations and a few non-AI vacations. You will not find any comparable AI properties outside of Mexico, Jamaica or the DR. We found that AI in other destinations are a second thought and do not provide as much and are 2-3 times more expensive. I have never been confined to one spot staying at an AI resort. We blow and go and try various dining/bar options outside of the hotel. We just include that as part of our budget. As much as we love AI resorts for the sheer convenience and we do find them much more afforadable, we could never just sit on a resort for a week and call it a vacation. I would crawl out of my skin doing that.

We are planning a trip to PR for November. PR does not have AI resorts. We are finding that food/drinks in the resorts are unbelievably expensive, $8 for a beer $12 for a cocktail, but there are various choices for outside dining/bars. The challenge to this type of vacation is researching dining options and happy hours. It does take some effort.

One of our issues after traveling for the past 13 years is that we have basically run out of places to go that offer affordable AI options. We been to several areas of Mexico numerous times and after all these years it does get kinda old. We might try the Iberostar in Montego Bay down the line, but Jamaica is really like been there, done that. One of our best vacations was Key West. Some of the best food we have had on vacation. We are returning to New Orleans next month for the same reason.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 07:49 PM

If you are drinkers and foodies you SHOULDN'T go all inclusive IMO. My boyfriend and I are drinkers and foodies and I prefer not to do AI for that reason. All inclusive food/drinks (while plentiful) aren't known to be all that great.

I have been to Bermuda and Barbados so I will comment on those --

Bermuda won't be as hot as a Caribbean island in October but water temps will still be warm. It would be a fine time to enjoy the water and enjoy the beach. Eating out is incredibly expensive though and there isn't much nightlife. It's a safe island and would be fine for a condo/vacation rental; that's what we always do.

We were in Barbados earlier this month and had a great time. There are restaurants for all budgets and there is a decent amount of nightlife.
We stayed at a condo that was within walking distance to the beach, super market, nightlife, restaurants, and transportation. IMO Barbados gets a slight edge over Bermuda due to nightlife and its unique Caribbean culture. Beaches are beautiful on both islands, they are both safe and have great public transportation.

There are pictures from my recent trip to Barbados and my last trip to Bermuda on my blog below if you are interested:

http://writeanothertravelingsong.blogspot.com/
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 03:56 AM

You're going in prime hurricane season, so I would focus on Aruba and Barbados which are less likely to be effected.

AI in Aruba is not worth it, since there are so many cheap and reasonable dining options near most of the major hotels.

What is your budget? That will give us a better idea of what to recommend.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 05:59 AM

Also, if you are interested in Barbados and set on AI I would look at the Couples resort. It is new so they have great promotions going on right now. The food/drink at their resorts in Jamaica is apparently top notch so hopefully it would be in Barbados too.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 06:51 AM

Westin St. John (USVI) has a nice pool area and good dining options on property and better options in Cruz Bay. Not the nicest beach on the island there, but incredible beaches a short taxi ride away. Many people have a great experience renting a villa on the island.

Serious foodie/beach types seems to like Anguilla, which you didn't mention. St. Martin and St. Barts are close by. I haven't been to those islands though they have many fans on this board (especially Anguilla - St. Martin seems to be a love/hate kind of island).
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 02:04 PM

I an a big fan of St. Martin-French side. If you are a true foodie I highly recommend staying in Grande Case. Unbelievable food choices within walking distance of some great boutique hotels. Really need our budget to recommend a resort. IMO, St. Martin has everything you are looking for.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 03:13 PM

The Virgin Islands (US and British) are not AI destinations. However, if you can think about staying in a condo or free-standing villa, the USVI is a great place to go, KVR's review notwithstanding. ;-)
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 04:15 PM
KVR

There are a few resorts in St. Thomas that offer AI food and drinks; the Marriott, the Wyndham, and Bolongo Bay. There is the Divi in St. Croix. There are not any in St. John.

Sorry, eastenderusvi, of the many Caribbean islands we've been to we rank the USVI on the bottom of our list. To each their own.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 04:50 PM

Have to add my 2 cents here about the USVI- I dislike St. Thomas totally but have loved St. John - definitely look for a villa (lots of choices on many different websites that vary a lot in price). Many good restaurants and a bit of "island" nightlife. We also loved the BVI's- Virgin Gorda especially. I have not been to St. Croix in a very long time but liked it, too back then.
October-early November is not too cold in the Bahamas but it is prime hurricane season and I think the places I love would be too sedate/sleepy for you. The food is not really anything to rave about in the out islands either but that is not why we go there.
I think the Caymans might be a good suggestion for you as someone mentioned or TCI but again it is hurricane season which you really cannot discount particularly in those areas. Are you set on that time of year for your travels?