All Inclusive for 10th anniversary trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I are trying to plan a trip for our 10th anniversary April 24th. We're wanting to go to an AI resort & I would love any recommendations. I was thinking of Cancun, only because we can get there cheaper, but am also interested in other areas such as Jamaica. We'd like to keep it around $3000 if possible, but we definitely want to stay somewhere nice, fun & relaxing. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 09:51 AM

Your money will probably go farther in Cancun than anywhere else, though you'll have a better culinary experience if you don't choose an AI resort. Iberostar has a good reputation in Mexico, but I can't recommend a specific hotel as Mexico is just not my specialty area.

I love Negril or even MoBay, and if you are into the Sandals kind of experience, then it's a good choice, but I doubt you'd be able to do that for $3,000 even with the current discounts being offered.

Therefore, I say definitely yes to Mexico, but even there you're only going to be able to score a very mid-range place ... certainly not high-end or special.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 10:50 AM

Actually...

The secrets resorts are very nice and you can get them for under $3k.

www.secretsresorts.com

the maroma is newest and on a beautiful stretch of beach.

we stayed at capri and it was lovely. beach was great for walking although the water was rocky for swimming.

really good a la carte dining. get the junior suites otherwise the rooms have the door in between and make them noisy.

Trish

oh and congratulations!

I'm not familiar with pricing on these but they are very popular.

http://www.palaceresorts.com/RESORTS...lace/Index.asp

Another possibility is El Dorado [seaside and maroma]
http://www.eldoradosparesorts.com/ho...roma/index.php
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 10:53 AM

Oh and it also depends on how many nights your staying. Assuming airfare separate?

Enjoy.

Trish
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! One of the ones I thought looked good was the Secrets Capri, so hearing that you stayed & loved it makes me feel I'm headed in the right direction. I've narrowed it down to Secrets Capri, Sun Palace, Riu Palace Las Americas so far. Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 12:48 PM
KVR

You probably do not want to stay directly in Cancun around April 24. It's still real busy with Spring Breakers and lots of kids. We went last year around April 23rd for my 40th Birthday and it was packed to the hilt with people. Secrets Capri is not directly in Cancun, but about an hour away outside of Playa del Carmen. At that time of year and for an anniversary, you probably want to ensure you get an adults only resort.

If you do want to stay directly in Cancun, I would choose the Royal Cancun, though it has it beach issues. The Sun Palace is a good second choice. If you are beach person, than Cancun right now is really not the place.

For the Playa del Carmen area/Mexican Rivieria area, the Royal Playa del Carmen is a 5 minute walk to 5th Avenue. We stayed there and loved it. Don't chose a swim-up room. They are not private. The Secrets and Iberostar resorts are getting great reviews, but many are a good trek outside of Playa is that makes a difference to you. We have also stayed at the Eldorado and it's in the middle of nowhere. If you want absolute privacy and a 30 minute cab ride into town, it's a good choice. We didn't like the location, as we want to be closer to the activity.

For Jamaica, look at Sunset at the Palms in Negril. The hotel is across the street from the beach, but once I saw it, it was no big deal and wished we would have stayed there. The rooms are like little tree houses on stilts and many honeymooners go there. I think it would fit your $3000 budget.

I would also suggest Aruba. You will not need an AI as there are tons of really nice, good resturants. All the hotels lined up on Palm Beach are across the street from a resturant/shopping row.

I am also in the planning stages of our 10th wedding anniversay. (July 2010) and we have decided on Barbados. I can not find a decent AI in the location we want to be in, but have been told many times, it's not the place to go AI. We have been to many, many AI properties and a few non-AI that we really didn't like (Aruba is the exception) Air and hotel will barely cover our $3,000 budget, so if I do end up finding a AI, we will probably go ahead. We also want to take day trip to Grenada and St. Vincent, which will add another $2,000 to the budget. That's why I'm planning to far in advance.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look into Secrets Maroma and the Royal Playa del Carmen. Both adults only ai resorts that are wonderful.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 01:28 PM

When we stopped at St.ucia the upscale Sandels (forgot which one but you can get it there are only 2) was very nice. We were on a sailboat and went to visit friends staying there. It was very nice and we later heard it was one of the best AI in the Caribbean. It may be in your budget in summer but know you do run the risk of tropical depressions possibly whipping out 1 or 2 days with rain but warm but that is most of the Caribbean.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 05:53 PM
KVR

I apologize in advance, but this has got to be the funniest statement I have ever heard/read. [ie., Sandals] "It was very nice and we later heard it was one of the best AI in the Caribbean."

We stayed at the Sandals Grande in St. Lucia and did a day trip to The Regency. IMHO, not worth the exhorbant cost. The worst AI food we have had anywhere and the service was very iffy. There are better AI's in Mexico. More amenties, better food, and nicer service, for way less money. St. Lucia is a wonderful Island, and a must see, but there are way better properties than Sandals.