Search

airfare

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airfare

The lowest airfare I've been able to find for a July trip to GC from NY is around 400.00 per ticket. (we need 6 tickets) We paid this price 2 years ago during high season! (Feb.) It seems that the price of a ticket is just stuck at around 500.00...just venting here and wondering if I should buy now at 400.00 or take my chances that tickets will go lower? Do prices go lower in the summer?
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 07:26 AM

I'm too "chicken" to play the wait and see if it goes down game. If the price is reasonable, the flight times are good, then I go for it. Sometimes if you wait the prices are higher and then you regret that you did not purchase the tickets at the lower price (this happens to my sister all the time) also, the availability of the good flights may not be there (you may have had a non-stop or one change of planes for the lower price and now you have a double connecting flight or you don't get to your destination until 9pm at night rather than the 2pm arrival).

Can you purchase your flight now and if the price goes lower will the airline give you a credit for future travel? This is called "Reissue down" I've done that a few times but you generally have to pay a fee....so if the flight goes down say $50pp you have to pay $25 to re-issue but you still get $25pp in a form of a voucher for future use on the airline. Check to see if the airline you are using has that policy.

As far as the prices going down, I would not bet on it due to high fuel cost and you are traveling during peak season (Summer Travel)

Good luck and have fun on you trip.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 07:33 AM

Prices do often go lower, maybe 10%, but in July-Aug. we found GC to be one of the warmest islands oin the Caribbean. The hotel rates are also less( maybe 20+%) but not the food which is high and generally good but not very good except 2-3 places, in my opinion.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I'm with you Need2travel...I just can't stand playing the waiting game. I did call Spirit to check and see if they have any kind of price adjustment policy but they don't. I think I may just bite the bullet and buy now. (I'll have to force myself to stop looking at airfare prices online afterwards!) You make a very good point about getting the flight that we want right now as opposed to being stuck with what's available at a lower (or higher!) rate later.
It's such a major decision right now but I know that when we are there it won't matter so much.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 12:44 PM

I understand what you are going through! I just booked DH's AA award ticket for our August Strata meeting. I could get there myself for those days for $350, but on another airline. I usually don't book before 90 days out. So, I'll wait and see if American drops their price, or I will fly Spirit again (out of Chicago).
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 02:20 PM

If you are coming from New York check this out. Starting on June 23, 2007, Cayman Airways will once again be flying direct to New York City. The introductory fare is US$388 ROUND TRIP(taxes not included), as long as tickets are purchased before April 15, 2007.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

I still haven't bought those tickets! Like you CaymanSue I am so tempted to wait and see if American drops their prices. I checked today and they have dropped their prices for June. So, won't they eventually drop July prices? On the other hand, how low will they go and will I still get my preferred times of departure. Thanks for the info about Cayman Airways, ReefRat. I will check that out today but if their price is $388.00 before taxes and fees it will end up being higher than Spirit. (they're tickets for my dates are around 408.00 per person including taxes and fees.) What is killing me is that if we stayed in GC a day LONGER we could actually save money! My husband can't take the extra day off, however. Ugh!
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 03:58 AM

Are you paying the same thing for gas you paid 2 years ago? It's getting ridiculous with gasoline prices and that is def. reflected in the ticket prices. $400 sounds good, I'd jump on that!

Peace
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 04:57 AM

I would go for it also. That seems like a good price. I doubt it would go substantially lower than $400 including fees and taxes. You will also have peace of mind.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 10:47 AM

Consider that taxes on international trips (eg to Cayman) run $90-$100 per person, if you can get a fare all in from NYC area for less than US$500, I'd take it.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 05:07 AM

$400 for a round-trip ticket to Grand Cayman (if it includes taxes) is an excellent price. If you are expecting the fare to drop below $350, I think you're going to be disappointed. Prices rarely get lower than that. The Cayman Airways fare also sounds good, and it would be a nonstop flight, which is always a plus.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

I guess I really WAS hoping to get a fare of around $350 a person. Right now Spirit has fares at that rate (including taxes) but just on select dates that don't work for us. (if anyone's interested: I think the sale ends today or tomorrow) I guess $400 a ticket is a good price. I was just hoping to pay less since that's what we paid during high season 2 years ago. I imagine the price of fuel is a reason fares are higher now. Believe it or not I ended up going with Cayman Airways. (thank you so much for the tip Reefrat, if you happen to be reading this!)The cost is around 488.00 per ticket (2 of my children are under 12 so their tickets cost approx. 450.00) We are actually paying more than the Spirit tickets would have cost but to us non-stop is very, very worth it. I hate to "wish time away" but I can't wait until July! Thanks for all of the advice/tips. I appreciated the feedback.