Search

Air Jamaica

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Jamaica

Thinking of a trip to the Jamaica Inn in mid March. Can someone help me with getting from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios. I can get a flight from JFK to Ocho Rios via Montego Bay. Question,
does Air Jamaica remove your luggage and put it on the connecting flight, or do we have to go thru the airport. Are there any other airlines that fly from MJB to OCR?
This is our first trip to Jamaica and can use as much info as possible. Thanks! Diane
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 04:45 PM

There's a charter company that does the flight, Tim Air I think.

If Air JA goes, I believe you will need to get your luggage through Customs and to the smaller plane.

It's not a bad drive, just about 2 hours, scenery is good, plenty of places to stop for a drink/break along the way...if you pack shorts and sandals in your carryon and start the vacation at the airport it's actually a lot of fun
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 05:02 PM

I have to agree with Liza. Unless you really have an dislike for driving, I'd hire a driver, get a Red Stripe or Rum, sit back and enjoy the cruise. Acutally the airport in Ochi is at least 20 out of town. By the time you fuss around with getting a puddle jumper in Montego Bay, you'd be have way to Ochi in a car. IMHO
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 05:40 PM

Good point, I forgot the airport is in Boscobel (and how I can forget, having just come from a week in a villa in Boscobel complete with small planes coming in and out overhead I can't imagine!).

Diane should know that she won't be flying a fullsize plane to Ochi in any case, it's a small airport, the plane will be small.

Jamaica Inn will provide a car and driver, I think they have limo service for a fee
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the responses! How far is the airport in Boscobal from JI? Another question we travel to Anguilla & St Barths. Both islands connect thru
St. Martin. There are services available at SXM airport to help you thru the airport, i.e. getting luggage, walking you thru immigration & customs. Is there a service in Montego Bay that we could hire?
Also, any comments on Tm Air? Thanks again, Diane
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 11:30 AM

Liza,

Which villa - is there a trip report yet? Can you tell I'm anxious to hear?
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 05:12 AM

DianeL,

Liza's suggestion (along with Michaelpl's) is a good one. Let JamInn arrange a driver, grab a beverage, and sit back and relax.
When you clear immigration at MoBay, you'll go downstairs to the luggage carousels and customs. You won't have to touch your bags. There are a number of porters who will take care of you. Make sure you have some $1, or $5 bills. Simply make contact with one of these gentlemen, point to your bags as they come around the carousel and then stand back. Your bags will be loaded on a pushcart and pushed over in line for customs. You tip, push the cart 10 feet or so through customs and out the door to the terminal. This will be the only time you will need to be actively involved with your luggage. Government rules require the bag owner to actually take it through customs.
There will be someone there with a clipboard asking where you are going, or if you have transport arranged. They will signal for the JamInn driver and he will take over pushing your luggage cart, load your luggage into the vehicle (car or van) and unload when you get to the Inn. Once again, make sure you have a wad of $1 or $5 bills, depending on the number of bags and the weight. Let your conscience guide you as regards tips.