Accomodation In Anguilla - Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we are booked up for Christmas in Anguilla for one week. Unfortunately all the five star resorts are full....so we are sifting through info on all others to see whats what. It is not easy to get reliable up-to-date info on these places! Anguilla Great House, La Sirena, Fountain Beach, Blue Waters....can anyone help! We know that none of them will be fantastic...but we would like something reasonably okay, baring in mind we will be on the beach all day anyway!
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 05:45 PM

Have you tried the Rendezvous Bay Hotel yet? Very nice with an excellent restaurant. If not, La Sirena is a very short walk to Meads Bay & has nice rooms; Anguilla Great House is on our favorite beach & walking distance to the restaurants at Rendezvous Bay & CuisinArt -- both have pools in case the beach is rough (not likely). I have heard very good things about Blue Waters -- you can't go wrong with it either. (I thought Fountain Beach was closed????)
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 10:35 PM
OT

Fountain Beach has been closed for years, I have heard there has been plans to re-open but not sure what status is.

In addition to MaryD suggestions, I would add Shoal Bay Villas. Shoal Bay Beach Hotel has had very mixed reviews, but it is on a fantastic beach.

Have you looked into Carimar, Nathans Cove and Frangipani on Mead's Bay?

You can also ask the same question on the Anguilla forum on www.caribbean-on-line.com, it is a very active board and I am sure you will find people with first hand experience.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 05:37 AM

Probably be easier to answer the question if we knew what you had already tried and how much you want to spend. Suspect Frangipani (www.frangipani.ai) is full but worth a try. Carimar is nice but no pool or restaurant. If you stay there ask to be in units 1 or 6 which are beachfront. You might try Serenity at Shoal Beach East which is new and very nice. Doubt that Cove Castles at Shoal Bay Beach is full so might be worth a try. You will need a car no matter where you stay. At Shoal Bat Beach hotel the deluxe beachfront suites are the best At rendezvous Bay Hotel the beachfront villas are also the best units on the property. Also check out Cocoloba--Accomodations are small cottages. Great setting and views. They have a lovely pool and restaurant but haven't eaten there yet so don't know how good it is. Access th Meads bay and Barnes Bay beaches. Check out lodgings on www.news.ai
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 06:22 AM
OT

Howard,

I was listening to Heartbeat Radio earlier this morning, an interesting interview with the Sport Council Sport Awards 2003 committee. During the program it was mentioned that the Cocoloba has been sold AGAIN, and the award ceremony had to be moved to LA Cafe. The deal was sealed yesterday.

Just thought you may be interested..
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions!I think I have contacted almost every hotel/resort on the island......we are now settled on Shoal Bay Villas as many other places were fully booked or more than we wanted to spend. Frangipani only had availability at 700 US$ per night! I did get a quote from Fountain Beach so looks like it is open again. I think it was the owner's son who emailed me, Mark, 200 US$ a night. Anyone stayed at Shoal Bay Villas?
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 01:53 PM

Claire--Just to set the record straight. I have not seen a recent rate sheet but believe the $700/ night at Frangipani is for a condo suite not a room. The suites are about 1800 sq ft and have a living/dining area, full kitchen, bedroom with king sized bed and a bath and 1/2 or two depending on the suite. Although you might think it's expensive not a bad rate for an upscale place over Xmas.

O.T.--Thanks for the info on Cocoloba. When they first opened in the early 90's lots of people stayed there but it fell off after Valtur the Italian tourist agency took over. I hope they make it as the setting is lovely. Will check the latest status when we're on Anguilla. Only 5 more days !!!!!
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 02:09 PM
OT

Claire,

just answered your plea on the other board, but great to hear you have booked with Shoal Bay Villas, it is a lovely place. perhaps we will see you on the beach!

Howard,

have a great trip! We'll be on the island in 24 days, and we are all ready to chill.
Just for fun, I did some price checks (good for discussion on the beach), for our 3 weeks stay and got a quote for Meads Hideaway (2 bedroom suite, 3 weeks) for just over $24000.00 incl taxes and service charges. No wonder they are empty!

Look forward to your report!
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I am actually booked at Rendez Vous bay in one of their beach front villa rooms as they had a cancellation. Shoal bay Villa could only take us for part of our stay in the end! Bookings get made fast for this time of year huh! So we are happy anyway and can't wait to go! I KNOW we won't be disappointed! Just look out for the Swede and very pale British girl with dark curly hair - that's us....even though we live in the South of Spain don't get a lot of time to lay in the sun! Thanks again!