Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Would like your opinion on these Anguilla hotels...

Jun 12th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Rendezvous Bay (which someone said was "seedy" on a post - what does that mean?), Carimar Beach Club, Anguilla Great House, or Madeariman Beach Club. We are trying to plan a trip for next May and these all seem reasonably priced. We just want to park ourselves under an umbrella on the beach, with a book and a cold drink. Recommendations?
Jun 13th, 2004, 01:45 AM

Haven't actually stayed at any of these hotels, but have checked out all of them on our last visit to Anguilla.
We decided on the Rendezvous Bay Hotel for this summer's stay; we were shown several of the rooms there. I wouldn't know about 'seedy' but you should realize that there is the hotel itself, which is quite old and may indeed be a bit 'seedy', and then there are the villas which are newer and right on the beach - you can't possibly get any closer to the beach and the ocean! The rooms we saw there were very basic (no TV!) but clean, spacious and light-looking. There are also a few 'studios' with a full kitchen - we booked one of those, on the second floor.
One of our main priorities, more important than the decor of the room, is service - this seemed to be excellent at RBH, very committed manager. But of course, we'll have to wait until we've actually stayed there to really give and opinion! And we loved the restaurant, Cedar Grove - had dinner there twice and both times was great. Last but not least, location - RBH was the first hotel built on that bay so had first choice: most sheltered location on thay bay.
As to the others: we had lunch at Great House and it wasn't very good, slooow service and when the food came the fries were soggy. The whole atmosphere just tooo laid-back for us - perhaps the word 'seedy' could apply here!
We saw Madeariman too, it looked very nice, friendly, simple, right on the beach - very much a family place; we noticed many families with small children there.
Carimar has a very nice location too, on Meads Bay, and I've read nothing but good reports on it. This is a self-catering place, however - no restaurant. If that's no objection, it should be great!
Well, I hope this helps!
Jun 13th, 2004, 06:11 AM

I agree -- you can't go wrong with RBH (where we have stayed & are going to stay again), Mandeariman or Carimar. Shoal Bay East (Mandeariman) is a little busier & has several nice beach bars & restaurants (cold drinks & barbecue within spittin' distance of your chair); all 3 are on spectacular beaches that I would recommend visiting no matter where you stay.
Jun 13th, 2004, 08:43 AM

I saw RBH, Madeariman and Carimar. Carimar looked the nicest of the 3. It sits on Meads Bay Beach right next to Mali. RBH looked fine. A little older and evry quiet. But nice beach and cove. Madeariman only had 5 units and your ocean view won't be as nice as from the other 2.

If you wnat to stay on Shoal Bay, look into Shola Bay Villas. I saw the rooms and property and would stay there if we stay on Shoal Bay. Otherwise I would say Carimar is your best bet.
Jun 13th, 2004, 09:01 AM

I stayed at the Great House years ago and liked it. Service was slow back then also but I guess we didn't care. We decided that if we returned to Anguilla, we would stay on Shoal Bay beach because it seemed less windy. I have had Allamanda recommended to me by several Anguillophiles. The place has many returning guests and is very reasonable. http://allamanda.ai/
Jun 13th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

So far leaning toward a beachfront villa room at Rendezvous Bay. Are there restaurants within walking distance of the hotel or would we need to rent a car if we wanted to eat elsewhere?
Jun 13th, 2004, 08:34 PM

You will want to rent a car - there are many good restaurants on the island. There are also several beautiful beaches so you may want to spend some time on the other beaches.
Jun 14th, 2004, 02:57 AM

There are 33 beaches & nearly 80 restaurants -- you would do yourselves & Anguilla a disservice to skip them. Having said that, the restaurant at RBH is top-notch. Anguilla Great House is next door & while the restaurant isn't great, we've had good salads & sandwiches there for lunch. CuisinArt is down the beach & has an excellent restaurant, as well as a hydroponic garden where they grow the vegetables & salad stuff. Check out the menus link at www.news.ai -- there are links to many of the island restaurants.
Jun 14th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

I'm sold on Rendezvous Bay Resort....after reading reviews on different sites, it sounds like what we are looking for... a quiet, beautiful beach where we can just veg out - Don't care about the lack of TV; in fact, like to get away from it occasionally. We won't be going until next year. But in the meantime, if anyone goes there in the meantime, please be sure to post a trip report. Thanks.
Jun 15th, 2004, 12:40 AM

I'll be there in a month or so, yaaay!! Our first time at RBH, 3rd time on Anguilla. I'll be sure to post a trip report when we get back on August 1st.
Jun 15th, 2004, 09:13 AM

Orangetravelcat: We stayed at the Carimar and thoroughly enjoyed it. There is no pool, but who needs one when it is right on Meads Bay. The units are tastefully decorated and very comfortable. If you decide to cook in a meal or two, the kitchens are well equipped. It is just a short walk from the one of the best BBQ places we have ever been, as well as a well-stocked minimarket. We were completely relaxed and very happy during our stay at Carimar. Wherever you end up staying, have a wonderful time on that fantastic island. Beaches are BEAUTIFUL and the people are lovely. Have fun!