Search

Abacos accomodation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abacos accomodation

we have reservations for the Bahamas Beach Club at Treasure Cay Beach in Abaco for August after a trip to Disney . Anyone have any insight into this resort ? Would appreciate any info please. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 04:58 PM

You should enjoy. There's a large marina and scuba center located on the premises. Definately snorkel in the reefs around the outer cays. It is a nice, luxury resort. I've conducted reef fish surveys throughout the area, and have been many times on Treasure Cay, which is north of Marsh Harbor. Are you flying into Marsh Harbor or Treasure Cay? If MH, you may have to spend some bucks renting a cab north to TC. I prefer to stay on the outer cays lining Abaco's eastern shoreline, like Turtle Cay and Great Guana Cay, but that's just me. You may want to take the ferry over to Great Guana Cay on Sunday for their famous pig roast at Nippers. There is a reef just offshore of Nippers, and you can enjoy the feast, sip some Guana Grabbers (their famous concoction) and snorkel 50 feet offshore to the shallow reefs bustling with reef fish and coral formations. You could also rent a boat and explore the sheltered Sea of Abaco. The beach off TC is roughly 3 miles long, shaped in a semi-circle; thus, it is very protected and great for snorkeling. Walk to the extreme north end of the beach. There is heavy brush at that end, with a trail leading into it.Take the path to a rocky point lying NE of the beach. The area is called Carlton Point (sp.?) and is where the first English loyalists landed after fleeing the U.S. after the Revolutionary War. Pretty serene and a good trek and contrast from Disney! Robert
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 08:55 AM

Be sure to go to Banyan Beach. They have the best cheeseburgers in Abaco!!
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 01:18 PM

Abaco Peach; How ya doing? I was wondering what ever happened to Renee, the hostess at Guana Seaside. Someone said she's working at Dolphin Beach on Guana. Is that true? Robert
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 07:25 AM

Hey, Robert! Actually, Rene is working at Blue Water Grill. Bruce and Nancy are not managing Dolphin Beach Resort anymore either! Will be back on Guana on June 19-July 5!! 60 days and a wake-up!
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 06:59 PM

Too bad about Nancy and her hubbie leaving; she did a lot for the special kids on Great Guana. How about Glen at Guana Seaside Resort; I was there this past summer and he left after our first day there. Apparently, his son was in an auto accident in the states...is he OK? Is Glen back at Guana Seaside. Wow! I couldn't believe it. I had some Kahliks at the bar there several times and talked about Abaco with a dude there who turned out to be the one and only Barefoot Man! I guess he needed a quiet place to unwind. Give my regards to everyone on Guana. Robert
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 05:11 AM

Actually, since the new managers have been running DBR, it is the first time in 8 years Kent Smith has been in the black! I saw Glen in October and he had just gotten back from a cruise. He was doing fine. Heck, I didn't even know Glen had any children!!

Wow, that's cool, Robert. I watched the video stream of Barefoot Man's concert at Nipper's that Sinclair had rigged up. It wasn't ideal but I think once Sinc gets the bugs worked out, it will work great for his next concert. You ought check out the Nipper's website. There are about 52 pictures from Barefoot's concert.

I will tell Glen that you were asking about him.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:21 AM

Hello, I was wondering how you made out at Bahama Beach Club? I am staying there in August. How were the grounds, pool bar, service? We plan to use Treasure Cay marina for boat slip. Anything you recommend to see/do or avoid? Went to Abaco about 8 years ago to Elbow Cay. Loved the casual atmosphere. I'd appreciate any info. Thanks.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Coiqui we will be at the Bahama Beach Club on August 16 so I have no tid bits to pass on yet. Sorry
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 06:12 AM

cygnet:
I, too, am very interested in staying at Treasure Cay...it really looks beautiful.
Pls, when you return, could you post a report here concerning your flight over from Orlando, your accomodations, and how your family liked Treasure Cay?!
Thank you-
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 10:40 AM

Cygnet: Sounds like we will just miss you - we arrive 8/28. Enjoy your trip! I will post my findings when I return after Labor Day.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 08:33 PM

If you go to Great Guana Cay, here's a trip report for things to do, for added adventure: Great Guana Cay
7/18/03 Our flight from Ft. Lauderdale was due to take off at 11:55am, but we finally left the ground in Florida at 1:15pm. Why? Because the plane wasn't there! It was nice getting used to slowed down Bahamian time. We flew Continental's Gulf Stream and arrived in Marsh Harbor at 3pm. My goal was to dive and snorkel, taking reef surveys for Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF) out of Key Largo, Fl. Took some nice videos of the shoreline of Grand Bahama and the marls of Abaco before landing in MH. Touched down on tarmack at Abaco airport. Immediately took taxi for $10 (for my wife and I) to the Conch Inn and enjoyed two Conch Crawls. Bartender was named Scotty, and was real nice to talk to. Took Albury's ferry to Guana Cay settlement and rented golf cart from Donna's niece. We settled in at Guana Seaside and proceeded to Nippers and enjoyed the Grouper + peas & rice + cole slaw = never get used to grouper on dinner plates in northern Ohio. Eating grouper in the Bahamas as compared to aged and frozen grouper in Ohio is like going from Wild Irish Rose to Miller Lite beer. Well, that evening I braved the Sea of Abaco waters off Guana Seaside, and made my first fish survey via snorkeling. At the end of their dock, I Id'd: Yellow Fin Majarra, Juvenile Stoplight Parrotfish, Nassau Grouper, countless grunts.
Boy, was the water warm, like bath water. Yesterday, I was swimming in a quarry in Ohio with a hot 59 degree water temp. Some of the locals wondered why I spent more time in the water than on land?that's why.

7/19/03 My wife was a little ill; she has sarcoidosis. So, we relaxed around Guana Seaside.

7/20/03 Woke up early, and decided to cancel scuba diving with Dive Guana. I hoped to use my underwater video camera to film and record reef fish, but decided not to until my wife got her strength back. Enjoyed the morning coffee at Guana Seaside, which they always have ready by the kitchen door. It grew windy, was overcast and thunder storms approached. A white-crowned heron was making himself comfortable by the pool at GS, so I took some nice videos of him. A nice Red-Bellied Woodpecker (family of) was nesting in a coconut palm hole by the pool, too. Good shots of both. I sat on the front porch with my wife and enjoyed another cup of coffee, we had the beach front room no. 4. I noticed the hedge in front of the balcony was full of leaf-eating worms, but no worries. Several Bananaquits came and feasted on them. I strided for a half-hour along the highway, heading toward the settlement. White-Crowned Heron was strutting along the road, selectively choosing tender land crabs to eat. What a life, drinking fresh water from the GS pool, then eating dead land crabs ala golf cart wheels. It can't get any better?who said man and nature can't co-exist? My wife felt stronger so we went to Nippers and had several drinks. We met a lady from our hometown of Cleveland, who used to work for Sohio. After 3 Nippers Drinks, we were entertained by a pod of Dolphins which cruised by off the beach. The pig roast buffet was truly incredible: after low-fat, lean pig meat, mac & Cheese (firm with nice crust, Bahamian style, not the watery stuff in the U.S.), pidgeon peas & rice, curried cabbage with a special sauce, potato salad, and baked bean, I declared my diet will restart tomorrow. All for $18?.definitely worth the price.
At 2:15pm, we arrived back at GS, and I planned to venture back to Nipper's beach tomorrow with underwater video and recharged batteries to do a reef survey. Dove into GS dock area again and video'd: Juvenile Beaugregory, Juvenile Clown Wrasse, Yellowhead Wrasse, Sargeant Majors, Bar Jacks, Schoolmasters, juvenile Stoplight Parrotfish, Blackbar Soldierfish?dozens of grunts. Saw large Nurse shark on dock just north of GS's.
Strided along road to settlement for half-hour, then to GS's kayacks with wife and headed to Baker's Bay. Glen left because his son was involved in a car accident in Nassau or Grand Bahama?.hope it works out OK, Glen. Talked with people at bar at Dolphin Beach; they were real nice people and said actor George Hamilton may have bought the northern section of Guana for a planned golf course and hotel for "upscale" crowds. Hell, they wouldn't know a Sargeant Major from a Nassau Grouper.
Then, went to Nippers and drank there famous drink; it tasted like candy and I had too many. I left with my wife, feeling like I took about a dozen "stomach relaxers," got in the golf cart, put in the key, turned it on, and drove back to GS. Upon arriving, noticed that it wasn't OUR GOLF CART! Robert