Reload this Page >

A novice, need suggestions for places to go and stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2002, 08:37 AM
Becca

Hello. Our family is going to Puerto Rico for a wedding (San Juan) in August. I sure would like to hear from people with experience in this area. I'm looking for ideas what to do (we are from Colorado, very outdoors) and reasonable places to stay. My son, 22, will be there for a month, needs cheap suggestions for lodging. Thank you!

Old May 21st, 2002, 08:58 AM
Mariarosa

Hi Becca! If you are a nature lover, I would suggest spending some time in San Juan to attend the wedding, but the rest of the time staying outside of San Juan. Choose a base and do day-trips. My favorite part is the southwestern part of the island, which is more sleepy - it has a lot of cays, mangroves, has a dry forest in Guanica, a lighthouse with great views in Cabo Rojo and an OK biolumniscent bay in Lajas. Other neat attractions are the Camuy Caverns and the Yunque rainforest. For ideas on outdoor activities try this website: www.travelandpsorts.com.

Old May 21st, 2002, 09:01 AM
Mariarosa

oops! that would be http://www.travelandsports.com. It has accomodations, activities, places to visit, etc.

Old May 21st, 2002, 12:19 PM
rqf

We attended the wedding of my wife's niece three years ago in August. The wedding was in Isla VErde (part of GReater San Juan) so we stayed in a hotel in the area - the Intercontinental. It is an oceanfront hotel. If you know where the wedding will be held post this information and the names of hotels can be provided. August is low season so good rates are available. Be prepared for hot and humid weather. Another niece is getting married next year. All stateside members of the family are requesting an April or MAy wedding - it is so much more comfortable than August. Mariarosa has made some good suggestions. Do hike in the Rain FOrest and do visit the CAves. For a family a rental car would probably be the best way to get aroundn if you intend to see the sights

Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:58 PM
Mike

You might choose to stay in San Juan a few days and then stay at the Copamarina Beach Club in Guanica outside Ponce. This is definitely the place for those who like nature and the outdoors. Excellent travelers reviews at Where2Stay.com.

Old May 24th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Mariarosa

Thank you for information. I'm really interested in the ideas you suggested!

Old May 24th, 2002, 10:44 AM
rqf

Thank you for the "sticky" information,<BR>I'll try to prepare!

Old May 24th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Mike

I'll check into your suggestion, thank you!

Old May 24th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Lauren

If you're taking leisurely drives around the island and staying at several places you might want to spend some time in Rincon not far from Mayaguez. The Lemontree Suites, Rincon, have reasonable rates $95-$185 a night--come with kitchenetts some with full kitchens. Mmediterranean style apartments on the beach. I believe the website is lemontreepr.com or type in property name and Rincon with Google. Rincon has great beaches and you can make reservations to dine at the award winning Horned Dorset Primivera Hotel.

Old May 29th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Dyan

I was in San Juan last weekend and had a great trip. Two things you should do: go hiking through El Yunque and go kayaking in one of the bioluminescent bays. A tip for El Yunque - go early in the morning before it gets hot and before the tour buses start arriving (around 10). It's very peaceful and enjoyable that way. Be sure to bring plenty of water and insect repellant, of course. The kayaking experience was the highlight of my trip. I was worried to try it at first because I'm neither coordinated nor athletic, but it turned out to be a blast, and is not something you can do just anywhere. From San Juan, we rented a car and drove to Fajardo. There is a national park there (Las Cabezas, I think) and this is past that - you just keep driving untilt he road ends. Beware that this is not an organized, touristy kind of place -- don't expect to see big tour boats or encounter a lot of people speaking English (other than tour guides). We literally stumbled upon some great guides who took us out with about 8 other people, each in kayaks holding 2-3 people. The guides, Peter and Mariela (I think) were extremely gracious, put us all at ease and made sure everybody was safe. The water is unlike anything else you will ever see - every time you dip your oar in, there is a glowing trail behind it. When you see fish below the surface, they also seem to glow. We even had a chance to get out and swim in the beautifully warm water. Also, we were the last group to leave, so we had the bay to ourselves. It was great!! There are other places in Puerto Rico to see this phenomenon, but this one is only about 60-90 minutes from San Juan. At the end of the trip, our guides let us take showers, and gave us snacks (including mangoes from their back yard) and pina coladas (with or without rum). It was $40 per person but well worth it. Their email is [email protected] and their phone number is 787-791-7509.