A few more Harbour Island questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As our trip gets closer, I have come up with more questions.

Is there an atm on Harbour Island? Are credit cards accepted at the smaller restautants and shops? How about travelers checks.

Is it safe to drink tap water? Is it better to drink bottled?

Thank you!!
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 06:45 AM

Credit cards and traveler's checks are accepted everywhere, and there is also a bank on island if you need to get money from your credit card. I'm not sure if there is an ATM on island yet, but there may be, it has been talked about quite a bit.

The water is fine on island. Fresh water is pumped over from Eleuthera, so it is fresh water in the tap and shower, not brackish. All the hotels also have fresh bottled water in your room and bottled water is available at all the stores on island as well.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Wantsomesun. You are such a wonderful resource!
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 07:47 AM

Thanks that's nice to you to say. When are you going to be on island and where are you staying. I can probably provide a bit more help with a bit more info.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 10:27 AM

I found it semi-amusing that the shops and some restaurants added a surcharge, about .85 per credit card transaction,to cover their cost of long distance while charging your credit card.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, both.

To answer wantsomesun, we are staying at Clark Cottage February 19-26. This is our first trip to Harbour Island. Have you seen Clark Cottage? We booked through their website. The owner has been very nice.

Do you have any tips or advice?

I read about a snorkel trip to Man Island. It sounded interesting; so, I think that we may do that one day. Or maybe just hire a boat (?) since we have our own snorkels.

We were thinking of going up to Rock House for the Friday night Bar B Que, if they allow children in their restaunants.

Other then that we don't have any plans.

I would love to hear Harbour Island favorites.

Thank You,
Gem
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 09:27 PM

Harbor Island has safe water, ATMs, etc..Its a bit touristy but very quaint, you should enjoy it.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 10:16 PM

I actually have a bunch of favorites there, so here goes.

Miss Mae's Tea House on Dunsmore St for lunch.

Angela's for anytime, the conch salad and cracked conch is great there, tell Angela HELLO!!

Runaway Hill for dinner. If Miss Rica is still the chef there, the food is the best on island. Dinner is at 8pm and no children under 16 I think, but you might check.

The Harbour Lounge for dinner and to watch the sun set.

The Landing for dinner is a real treat.

YES I can highly recommend the Rock House, several friends have been there and have raved about the food, the BBQ being the best. (Celebrity watching there).

Valentine's does snorkle trips to some of the out cays, or you can put together a nice picnic lunch and head down to the Governmnet Dock and ask one of the water taxis to take you to your own island for the day (bring lots of sun block too)

Coral Sands for conch burgers, and to enjoy the view.

And Ma Ruby's for the BEST hamburgers/cheeseburgers in the world.

Have a GREAT time. No one on island would know my handle here, but if you mention my name everyone on island just about knows me. IF you go up to Runaway, please give my love to all there. There is a new owner and manager but most of the staff know me, I have been staying there since 1986.

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 04:43 PM

I second the vote on Harbour Lounge. Enjoyed the food so much we visited twice during our stay. Great views of sunset, people watching and harbour activity. You may also want to check out or inquire about Sip Sip, we were not able to check it out but heard several recommendations for it.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for the great suggestions! I will print out this page and take it with us. I can't wait to try them all.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 03:22 PM

Where is a nice place to stay on Harbour Island? Is it too late to book something for the end of March ?