Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

99 RT ticket to barbados....Experts HELP DECIDE please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are poor right now but i need a vacation. I normally do negril or tulum , playa del carmen.

I enjoy laid back back, not cruise ports.
I like eating good fresh food with locals.
A book in a hammock?

Are there decent last minute to stay?

Thinking of trying to rent car and drive around the island insearch of bumpy roads and quiet villages. Also would love ferry or mail boat to another island close by?? Cheap flight? I love 2 for 1 vacations that I get to experience a bit of two places.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:11 AM

Barbados can give you the kind of experience you're looking for, but it's better known for really expensive and luxurious resorts. You might take a look at Peach and Quiet. Unfortunately, Barbados is about 100 miles due east of the rest of the Lesser Antilles chain, so it's very isolated and isn't close to any other islands. The one thing you could look into is an EasyCruise, which calls in Barbados weekly and goes to some interesting islands over the course of a week. You eat off the ship rather than on; it's basically just a place to sleep.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:12 AM

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. Do you have a $99 round trip ticket to Barbados? If you do, that's a great rate - no, I take that back, that's an amazing rate.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

yes - a charter vacation place in my area from time to time offers flights to fill up the charter plane.-- so direct flight for 99 RT -- hard to pass up!

Especially when i have been hunting for a trip-- but have to leve in a week-- so I;m under the gun~
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:26 AM

Just one more thing, and then I'll shut up and give the other posters a chance. But food in the Caribbean can be significantly more expensive than in Mexico. There are cheaper options in Barbados---especially if you are willing to eat more local food, but many of the restaurants are fairly expensive.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Doug- thanks.. glad to hear anything you might have to add. I spent some time in St. Maarten and everytime I went back I was a taken aback by how much a gallon of milk cost, etc.

I was thinking of renting a car for the whole week (pricey I assume but it's all about value) so I can see a bit of the island. I was hoping to find a few off the beated path villages with a locals' bar with cricket playing on the B & W TV and not a tourist anywhere??

Conch soup from a local shack? Does this exist?

Am I in a dream world??

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:11 AM

Actually, I do think all the things you are looking for exist on Barbados. I wish I could give you some more specific help in finding them, but I just don't know the island well enough. You'll need a car, particularly if you stay at Peach and Quiet, and the car may cost almost as much as the room this time of year, so I'd suggest you price all the parts of your trip before making your commitment.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:26 PM

The air fare may be your only bargin in Barbados. Went a few years back and loved it. Rented a car and saw every inch of the Island. It is very beautiful but expensive. If you have a rental car you will not need to do expensive excusions, there is so much to see and explore, so there is a savings there. Are you traveling alone? I ask this because while we were in the middle of nowhere a man appeared from nowhere and came in the back of our 4WD. He turned out to be the highlight of our trip, supposedly worked for the government as a tour guide and he gave a great tour of the island. (so said his badge with his picture on it). But not the experience a women traveling alone would want to encounter. Good luck with the rest of your planning..
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 03:34 PM

Try the southern palms beach club. It's very low key, inexpensive, but very clean and well run. And it's on a great beach, Dover. Wavy, fun! The hotel is within walking distance to all the SLG restaurants.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 05:01 PM
cdt

If I could get a $99 ticket to Barbados I'd be there in a flash.

There are actually quite a few fairly inexpensive places to stay on the south coast - but they may be in "busy" locations, with somewhat rough water, and less than perfect beaches.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 03:25 PM

Just back last night from EasyCruise w/ 3 nts in Barbados-- Loved "Cinammon Cottage" on west coast (Calypso Rentals) $120US -- Oistins is where you'll find great, inexpensive (though still not CHEAP) fresh fish and shrimp-- We also stayed 2 nts post-cruise at Inchcape Villas-- Rented car from drive-a-matic-- Loved the public access to Crane's Beach (you're on same beach as those paying $400+) Let me know if you want more details- PS: we LOVED the EasyCruise! Absolutely the only way we'll ever "cruise" again!
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 09:05 AM

The things you look for in a vacation sound exactly like my priorities. Are you flying out of Florida? Would you mind sharing the name of the charter?