8 Days in PR - are we missing anything?

Sep 10th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Mark

8 Days in PR - are we missing anything?

We will be in PR in Oct staying at the Marriott.

So far we plan to do the following
1 day explore Old San Juan

Part day Bacardi Tour

1 day El Yunque Forest Hike El Toro Trail - explore Forest & os Croabas - Snorkel Money Islands

1 Day Driving tour around the Island

1 Day Rio Camuy Caves & Arecibo Observatory

Of course we plan some beach and R&R time.

We are not into shopping and enjoy outdoor sports and arts.

Are we missing anything major?

Sep 11th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Friend

You should consider spending some time in Ponce - it is a wonderful city.

Sep 11th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Ellen

I second Ponce. The firehouse is wonderful.

Sep 11th, 2002, 04:42 PM
rqf

On your one day driving tour start the day by driving to Ponce. Use the super highway to get there and spend at least half a day touring Ponce. Return using highway 10 that takes you through small towns and villages to the north coast.

Sep 11th, 2002, 06:44 PM
sparks

What & how do you snorkel monkey island?

Sep 12th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Geeez

Author: sparks ([email protected])
Date: 09/11/2002, 09:44 pm

I would suspect the poster meant around Monkey Island and not on the Island - try putting on your thinking cap when you turn the computer on

Sep 12th, 2002, 05:04 PM
Mark

Well, 8 days have now become 11 - What a great way to relax.

We would love more feedback

Sep 12th, 2002, 05:53 PM
lola

Drive to Fajardo, take the ferry to Culebra and visit Flamenco Beach, one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
Stop by the "kioskos" at Luquillo Beach and try some "alcapurrias" and "bacalaitos".
Visit the historic lighthouse at Cabo Rojo.
Be careful when driving.
Have a great time.

Sep 12th, 2002, 06:14 PM
sparks

Obviously I didn't phrase my question in a manor that some PEOPLE could understand. Let me ask it again. Do you contact an excursion company to take you to this island & if so, which one? And is the snorkeling pretty good in that area?

Sep 12th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Mark

Sparks - here is a link I have on Monkey Island. I understand the snorkeling is very nice, though I have never been there.

http://www.kayak-pr.com/page6.html

I sent you an e-mail wanting to trade vacation plans.

Sep 13th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Mariarosa

Wow Mark this sounds like a fabulous trip! ANd now with 3 extra days, you will have a tough time choosing what to do with them...

I agree with the recommendation that if you can add Culebra or an overnight trip to Vieques (to see the Bio Bay) you should. Flamenco Beach in Culebra is breathtaking.

In the southwest part of the island I really enjoy the small villages in Cabo Rojo and the area around the Cabo Rojo Lighthouse. The scenery is beautiful and from the lighthouse you'll be able to spot a secluded and beautiful beach.

Also in the southwestern part of the island, I like the mangrove cay off Guanica called 'Guilligan's Island.'

The center of Ponce is cute with its Firehouse, plaza and church. If you are an art lover, the museum there is very good. I saw a great exhibit of 'santos de palo' - carved and painted wooden saints, a traditional puertorrican craft.

How about a visit to an old coffee plantation in the lush center of the island? You can visit Hacienda Gripinas (and overnight there) or Hacienda Juanita (maybe already part of your 'driving tour around the island'?).

Have fun!

Sep 19th, 2002, 05:40 PM
susan

definitely seek out a bioluminscent bay, which has amazing micro-organisms growing in them that glow at night. There's one on Vieques, which is also worth a sidetrip, and I've heard there's one on the main island of PR

Sep 20th, 2002, 08:07 AM
wanda

Ponce is beautiful! But, you MUST go one day to the island of Culebra!!! Absolutely beautiful and the beach there is sooo much nicer than the mainland. Please dont miss it!

Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:21 AM
sparks

Someone told me it took her 3 hrs to get to Culebra by ferry. Is this usual? Maybe the wter was just really rough that day. I hope.

Sep 23rd, 2002, 09:18 PM
RichF

Definetly go to Culebra, and drive the island via the mountain highway. I would not bother with Vieques for the biobay, instead try biobay near Ponce. In my opinion, Liquillo Beach is drasticly overated but it is worth a look if you go to the rainforest.

Sep 24th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Jen

We went to P.R. a few years back and stayed on the island Culebra for 3 days. It was the best part of entire trip! However, we'd love to go back again someday and retrace our route around the entire island of P.R.

Oct 7th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Andrea

I think the three hours to Culebra must be round-trip. I have read a couple places that it is 1.5 hours.