Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Puerto Rico end of August--Are We Nuts to Even Consider?

Jun 9th, 2002, 07:28 PM
carol

Hello,

We've never been to Puerto Rico, and this year, the only time husband and I can take off from work is one week at the end of August.(Returning right around Labor Day weekend).

Is this still during hurricane season, or is Puerto Rico better situated? We don't mind the heat, but am more concerned about storms.

If anyone has been there at the end of August, please let me know if it's worth it.

Thanks for your input!

Jun 10th, 2002, 04:28 AM
a

Hurrican season is still in full swing in August. It isn't so much the heat that is a problem but, rather, the humidity.

Jun 10th, 2002, 04:36 AM
Statia

Carol:

Hurricane season runs from June thru November, so it's essentially almost half the year. The worst storms in this area are typically in September, although they can occur at any time.

I'd say go for it. If having a hurricane is your biggest concern, you will have plenty of notification of the weather and can get back to the mainland, if you wish.

Jun 10th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Ronnie

Also make sure you have trip insurance.
Ronnie

Jun 10th, 2002, 05:46 AM
tom

I agree with Statia. The likelihood of a hurricane hitting during the precise week that you are there is pretty small, although it is certainly a possibility.

Jun 10th, 2002, 10:06 AM
liz

I was evacuated once from St. Croix in late July or early August a few years ago, what a hassle! Lost two days...they spent a day boarding everything up and we then spent a day sitting around in heavy winds waiting for a plane. Then, we got home earlier than expected and found our 16 year old cat sitter in our bed with her boyfriend in the middle of the night!!!

Jul 3rd, 2002, 01:32 PM
Sylvester

At least your cat sitter wasn't in bed with your cat.

Jul 3rd, 2002, 01:45 PM
Anne

What do you mean? I always sleep w/ my cat! Or, my cat sleeps w/ me...whatever!
What's the big deal?
Oh! & BTW how much did yo pay your cat sitter? (See post below!!!)

Jul 21st, 2002, 09:25 AM
Andrea

I visited St. Croix, which is not far from PR, back in 1997, a few months after Hurricane Georges hit. It was the first hurricane they'd had in more than eighty years. We get them much more often here in North Carolina, but it doesn't stop people from building beachfront homes.

The height of hurricane season is September and October. That doesn't mean you can't get hit in August, but if that's the only time you can take your vacation, I say go for it. Trip insurance, is a good idea, though.

Jul 24th, 2002, 01:43 PM
JLSanta

Go for it!!
I live here and major hurricanes pass after August. Since 1899 only one huracane pass before september (August 1956). Get insurance because there is a posibility of a few warnings.

We are hurricane experts so you will know 5 or 4 days in advance about the emergency. Be prepare before travel. www.endi.com (major newspaper with daily info) or www.tormenta.net (weather in Puerto Rico) or just email me!

Welcome to Puerto Rico
JLanta

Oct 7th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Andrea

Oops! It was Hurricane Hugo in 1989 that was the first hurricane to hit St. Croix in 80 years. Georges in 1997 did only minor damage.