70's Couple, Trip to St Thomas or St. John

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My In-Laws would like to take a trip to St. Thomas very soon...like in 2-3 weeks. <BR><BR>They want to be close to the beach, my Father In-Law does not get around real easy.<BR><BR>Any suggestions as to a resort/hotel? Should they look at St. John? Money is not the main issue...they can afford to go just about anywhere.<BR><BR>Help - Thanks
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 10:20 AM

Check out the Ritz Carlton in St. Thomas, it really caters to people.<BR><BR>Since money is no object, that is what I suggest.<BR><BR>That or Caneel Bay, but Caneel has no telephones or television.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 11:07 AM

I would also take a look at Secret Harbour. The units are condos, very spacious, clean etc. on a lovely beach. Their is also an excellent restaurant right on the grounds (Blue Moon Cafe). It's an easy resort to get around and the staff is extremely kind and helpful. Most of them have been there for years and go out of their way to help the guests!<BR>Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

The Ritz does look nice. I can't tell if it is right on the beach? My In-Laws cannot walk down any hills to a beach. Does the Ritz sit right on a beach?
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 04:38 PM

No, the Ritz would have hills and many steps between the rooms and the restaurants, pool, beach. Since they have difficulty ambulating they would enjoy Caneel Bay www.caneelbay.com in one of the Scott Beach premium rooms. There is a shuttle that circles the property regularly so that they would be comfortable.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. What is the best way to book travel to Caneel Bay? <BR><BR>Should they get their own flight and book directly with Caneel?<BR><BR>
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 03:49 AM

Reservations can be made directly with Caneel. Their site can be found through Rosewood Hotels, where one can see a photo tour of the property.<BR><BR>The suggestion of the rooms on Scott's Beach is an excellent one. The rooms, just 2 or 4 per building, each with a private patio, are all first floor only and sit directly on a beautiful shaded sugar white sand rimmed beach.<BR><BR>My preference is to make reservations directly with Caneel so that you can explain exactly what you want.<BR><BR>The number is (340)776-6111.<BR><BR>Caneel is wonderful, and they will not be disapointed.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 04:27 AM

Yes Scott Beach would be perfect. Caneel does have a jitney bus that will take them to restaurants etc, but I would check with the hotel to see if they can get a private golf cart pick up, to assist. I am sure they will have help for the &quot;handicapped&quot;! I book Caneel direct at the hotel, not thru the Rosewood office. Caneel will be an excellent choice!
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 05:46 AM

Another plus is that Caneel offers transportation directly from the airport in St. Thomas to the hotel on St. John. Much more convenient than airport to taxi to ferry to taxi to the resort with luggage.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 06:42 AM

If you contact a Custom Classic travel agent, they do have Caneel on their list of preferred properties and can often arrange a holiday that includes air and land which might be less expensive than booking each seperately with some percs tossed in for good measure.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 04:01 AM

I would definitely confirm the above information about the Ritz. The entire property is situated on a hill and there are many many stairs. As a matter of fact, my young son counted that there were over 60 steps to get from the pool to our hotel room. Plus the lobby is situated very high from the beach with many steps to get from one to the other. Although, we very much enjoyed the property and even the steps for exercise, people with walking issues would definitley have a problem.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 07:10 AM

Caneel Bay would be a wonderful choice. they are very helpful and attentive to their guests needs. beaches are beautiful, quiet, food is some of the best in the islands. my husband and i loved our 8 day stay. we would go back in an instant. it would be very difficult to be disappointed in this beautiful resort