1st Time in Negril - Have ???

Jun 8th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

1st Time in Negril - Have ???

Been reading the chat room for a couple of weeks and you all are very helpful and its Great Info. Heres our questions. We are two couples who are own a small inn in Michigan with a day spa so we are always in to checking out similar properties. We are staying 7 nights at the Negril Treehouse and one night at the Whistling Bird. What is the coolest small resorts to check out? Any good day spas? What is the best way to get around? I tried e-mailing Solomon twice no respons yet, anybody else really good? Any good websites or links to get a map that shows where Negril Tree House is located and whats nearby? Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Jun 9th, 2004, 05:42 AM

We just got back from Negril on the 28th. It was wonderful. Soloman was our driver & his wife (Sienna) said they were having email issues. Try going to www.all jamaica.com/board/index.html & posting for Sienna. I know she goes there when she can. Another good site for info is www.negril.com. Many locals post there so you should get good info on spas. There is also good local info & maps on the negril.com site.

Have a great time!
Jun 9th, 2004, 11:42 AM

Gail Jackson, an owner of Treehouse also posts on www.negril.com There is an interactive map on that site also. You can walk all along the beach from Treehouse to check out properties. I know there is a spa on the cliffs called Jackie's. You will want to take some time to check out the properties on the cliffs. You may want to look in on Nirvana, Firefly, Kuyaba. Please post about your thoughts on Whistling Bird when you get back - it is on my short list. I'm interested in whether the bars nearby can be heard at night there.
Jun 10th, 2004, 01:02 AM

Check out the style at The Caves, Rockhouse and Tensing Pen; the spa services at Jackie's on the Reef, and should you explore outside Negril, Oasis Spa in Belmont run by the former head of spa services at Swept Away. Carolyn Barrett's back on island the end of June so if Solomon Kerr n/a, try her at [email protected]. Walking by day/taxis at night in Negril. Liz has a good list/map literally showing every bar/hotel/restaurant/club in Negril in the archives section of
jamaicans.com
Jun 10th, 2004, 11:21 AM

Have dinner one evening at Norma's, right on the beach at Seasplash, a cute little place right on the beach much frequented by locals up from Kingston for the weekend.
Jun 10th, 2004, 07:05 PM

Whistling Bird is beautiful. We really enjoyed our week there. Great staff, best beachfront on the whole beach in my opinion....lots of shade (or sun too), lounges and tables and chairs everywhere (for very few guests), private bar, restaurant, excellent location (except at spring break when the big/loud parties are next door at Fun Holiday...otherwise no problem).

Nice massages from Marlene there too, under a nice shade tree.

Jackie's is kind of "the spa" in Negril, out on the far cliffs. Swept Away has a fitness center and spa as well, much bigger.

Maps tiv referred to are here:

http://www.alink.com/personal/liz/negril/index.htm
Jun 14th, 2004, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. The map is great Liza. Would have posted last night but storms knocked out service. The girls are excited about spas!! They're not excited about adventuring and I Love that especially in Jamacia when I can get to know some of the locals. I can't wait to get Margueritte's book- Thanks Tivertonhouse! Any suggestions as to one or two places to not miss? Relatively close to Negril Tree House where we are staying for 7 days and 1 day at Whistling Bird, this is barter so our options are very limited and no one from this group has ever stayed at WB.
Also I have talked to Soloman and have tried a couple of email addresses the last one he gave me [email protected] but it failed. If we just fly in what should a taxi cost appox and how much more if we take the scenic route? Thanks again and I will post a report on WB when we get back-Benji. P.S. This is my first time chatting so I'm a novice, can I just do a Word file as a report and post it? and if its a few pages is that to much? I like to talk, I sell RE as a profession.
Jun 14th, 2004, 05:22 PM

Just came back from Jamaica and toured with Solomon and his wife Sienna. They mentioned issues with email to me too so I would rely more upon his cell number. I will say that he sent me a nice thank you note for using his services which I got when I returned home. It was a really nice and I think he and his wife genuinely enjoy what they do.

I did not find Normas on the beach good Jamaican food. In fact my meal was salty. I think the food on the beach is divided into three categories: "upscale" (not really authentic Jamaican but an attempt to provide tourists with standard italian and american fare - nice atmosphere but high priced and mediocre); bare bones (jerk chicken and patties); and hidden jewels (delicious food in places that don't initially look all that appealing - try Coconut International a few paces down the beach from the "Risky Business" night club).

I stayed at Tensing Pen and it was absolutely incredible. Read my trip report for more info.

I came to Negril planning to spend real quality time at the spa. But I found that the aloe rubs on the beach ($25-$35 US) were as good or better than any I'd ever received in a spa in the states. No, the atmosphere is not "beautiful"... but the feeling you get after they are done ... aaaah! Ask for "Lettie" on the beach - its a massage you won't soon forget. If its a good massage you're after, and you can do without the fountains, soft music, and cucumber slices... this is the way to go!