York University - Toronto lodging?

Aug 15th, 2002, 02:32 PM
larry

York University - Toronto lodging?

Hello,

I am a little surprised at my inability to easily find information about Toronto as I am other cities. If someone could provide some advice, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Planning on visiting in about a week with college age daughter who's interested in York University. I'd like to find lodging close enough, so she can easily visit the campus. I understand the subway is good, but don't know if it goes to the University. Clean, quiet and reasonable is about the only other criteria.

I plan on renting a car, and am a little apprehensive about the Air Canada flight arriving at 10pm. and finding my way around.

Any other general tips would be helpful.

Cordially,
Larry

Aug 15th, 2002, 03:38 PM
xxx

York sucks. McGill Rules!

Aug 15th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Growupxxx

The immaturity of "xxx" is another reason to choose York, I'd say!

Aug 15th, 2002, 03:53 PM
tutu

Larry, the subway stops for York Uni is at Downsview or Keele and then it's a bus ride to the Univ. I've been up to York for the Masters Series Tennis and from what I can recall, there's not much around there in terms of residential areas. Have you tried calling York Univ - someone there should be able to help you. Not sure where you're flying in from but Toronto's traffic problems are not to be taken lightly. You may wish to stay at the airport on arrival and head out the next day. I believe you get on to the 401 east, then 400 north to Barrie and exit on Steeles. Wish your daughter much good luck in her studies.

Aug 15th, 2002, 04:21 PM
lynn

Hi Larry:
The area around York is residential and factories. There are a few hotels maybe 10 minutes drive away at Finch and Hwy 400 ( a Marriot Courtyard and Comfort Inn North York)Not much around here however. The hotels are in an area of light industry and homes. ( I grew up in this neighbourhood and it has become very "seedy" in recent years)
If you are arriving that late by the time you check through customs you may want to get a hotel at the airport and visit the University the next day. The airport is in the northwest of the city and York is only about a 20 minute drive from there. Alternatively you could stay at a downtown hotel (much more interesting) and take the subway/bus to York to visit for the day.
The subway station for York is Downsview then there are nonstop buses heading up to the campus frequently.
Hope this helps.

Aug 15th, 2002, 07:37 PM
Brian Kilgore

York has two major campusses (or campii or something Latin -- I went to York but never learned this) and the info above relates to the main campus. Double check that she's not headed for Glendon College. If she is, tell us and we'l;l give you other info.

Otherwise, since you get in so late, stay near the airport and drive up the next day. A free shuttle bus to the hotel and renting the car the next day may be an economical move, or may just be more trouble than it is worth.

Holiday Inn, Travel Lodge, Best Western, Hilton, Sheraton, Wyndham, Mariott and Choice Hotels, plus others, all have hotels near the airport.

The next morning just drive north on highway 27 (which is pretty much beside the airport and the hotels) to Steeles Avenue, turn right, and drive east until you get to the university.

York, for specialized courses, is a very good school. But it's in a lousy location, by almost any definition.

BAK