WWYD with one day in Toronto with kids?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll have four kids, ages 7, 5 & 4 (two boys, two girls).

If you only had one day and evening, what would you do with them? Seems like there is so much fun stuff to do there. But we'd prefer to avoid anything remotely amusement parkish. Also, it will be summer, so hopefully outdoors.

I appreciate the advice!
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 10:20 AM

I would definitely take them to the Beaches. Great area - lots to see and do - play volleyball, swim, walk, run, eat, etc. Very pretty area and fun for all ages.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 10:35 AM

If it is raining, the Ontario Science Centre (or even if it is not). If not, the Toronto Zoo.

http://www.ontariosciencecentre.ca/

http://www.torontozoo.com/

Although it's a bit amusement-parkish, Ontario Place would be a good choice if you want to stay downtown. The Toronto Islands are really out so long as the municipal strike continues.

http://www.ontarioplace.com/en/index.html
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

We'll be on Lake Huron for two days following Toronto. Are the beaches still worth it then?

Any areas of the city that are fun to walk around in with kids? Any little spash parks?
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 02:37 PM

Lots of city parks have splash pads/wading pools but due to a city strike, they aren't open.

Kids love the new wave deck on Lakeshore just west of Simcoe Street at Harbourfront Centre. http://www.blogto.com/city/2009/06/s...k_waves_hello/

But the science centre is a great place if it's raining - and it seems that's mostly what it does this summer.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 03:42 PM

You might look into the Toronto Hippo Tour that runs you around the sights and into the water in one of those busboats... being that they are so young shoot for a ferry ride to Centre Island and the kiddy rides(sounds cheesy but its small and quaint) its near the beach and park so bring a picnic.... the ferry alone is worth this adventure... make sure the workers strike is over and the ferries are running... have fun!
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, in Vermont too. It's been a very, very wet summer. I hope by some miracle we have good weather for our trip.

That wave bridge looks really cool.

How long has the strike been going on? We'd be there like a week and half from today.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 09:54 PM

Have to agree with Toronto zoo. Went myself last month with my son and his friend and had a great time. Stingray bay is worth the extra couple of bucks for the experience of petting stingrays. (Velvet soft)
I would however stay away from the Canadian animals exhibit. Not a lot to see and a long walk back up a very big hill. We started our day there and though it was cool to see the elk and the muskox the hill nearly did me in.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 05:11 AM

The latest is that they are trying to settle the strike in the next few days... but they have tried before and it continues...
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Well, fingers crossed then! Any recommendations for a good family-friendly restaurant, not too expensive?
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 07:22 AM

Try Swiss Chalet (BBQ chicken and ribs). You can find one pretty well anywhere in the city.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 07:02 AM
LJ

Strike is over...just the mopping up to do and, if I worked out your timing accurately, you should be fine.

I agree with Swiss Chalet for kids meals...also the ROM has many inter-active exhibits for kids these days and they all seem to love the dinosaurs: if it does rain, this is a good half-day indoors.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 07:25 AM

The pickle barrel is great also... and Shopsys and Gretzkys for a sports bar...
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 10:41 AM
LJ

Sadly, Shopsy's is no more...but The Pickle Barrle is also a fun place for kids.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 08:58 PM

Recently spent the day at Ontario Place with my three nieces (12, 11, 7) and 2 nephews (4 and 8). They had a blast (and this was during the strike). As far as restaurants...if you like decent food stay away from the above mentioned chain-style restaurants. Why eat bad food that's overpriced in a city with amazing food for every taste and appetite and budget? This very evening, my son and I were talking about eating in Greektown on the Danforth when he was wee - it's just like Athens in the summer - families everywhere. And, then there is Chinatown, I could go on and on. Little Italy? Tell me what your kids like and I'll give you a few suggestions.