worrying about weather in Alberta

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
worrying about weather in Alberta

Hi everyone...After evaluating and re-evaluating a lot of much valued tips from this forum, I re-planned a trip originally scheduled for last May , for Sep.15 to the 24th. Many thanks to Judy, Borealis and the long report recently posted, and everyone else who takes the time to post advice. Now, I just looked at the weather report, and it's showing a lot of rain and fairly cold weather for the next few days. I'm a little worried, with my 5 yr.old, am I going to be able to get around outside much ? My 18 yr. old and my husband are all going as well. We're in poor physical shape , but had planned to do some easy and short hikes, where we could take the 5 yr. old as well(I was considering buying the large 3 wheel stroller). My question is, is it just raining sporadically over there or is it just a constant downpour which will leave us housebound? Any suggestions will be much appreciated or any info as to whom I could call. Perhaps we should postpone. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 09:04 PM

Hello,
Here in Alberta we are worrying about the weather too. . . . well, "worrying" but not be quite the right word, "annoyed" is more like it. We have had a very miserable summer, cool, cloudy and windy. I keep hoping that it will revert to normal, which for September is gloriously sunny and pleasant days (but very chilly and sometimes frosty nights).
Rain is usually gentle here (downpours only happen with thunderstorms, and it's more or less past that part of summer now). But the rain is cold, and if the temperatures fall low enough, the rain can turn to snow. It's a bit early for that yet, but just a few days ago Crows Nest Pass in southern Alberta had a dump of snow. So it doesn't look good.

I checked the long term weather forecast (for Banff), and it looks like a mixed bag for the next week to ten days: some sun, some cloud, some rain. However the temperatures are predicted to be quite chilly - much below normal.

All I can suggest is to buy waterproof jackets, and wear sweaters and fleece pullovers for warmth. This weather wouldn't stop me from going outside, a brisk walk in the chilly air is a good excuse for a mug of hot chocolate (or something stronger !), and relaxing by a roaring fire!!

If it's sunny but chilly, it'll be good weather for "driving tours" (to viewpoints etc.). If it gets really rainy, there are a number of indoor activities that could keep you busy for a few hours (Whyte Museum, the Cave and Basin Hot Springs, browsing through shops on Banff Avenue etc., or through the grand Fairmont Hotels).

I'm not sure what advice I can give you for your 5-yr old - it all depends on what your little one likes to do and how energetic he/she is. But you know that - not all kids are the same.

We are all wishing very hard that the weather improves, and if it does, it's about time !!

Good luck!!

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Dear Borealis,
Thank you for the tips. I have some thinking to do it looks like..

~1000places
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 04:22 AM

1000places, go and don't worry about it. I have been to Alberta in July and experienced cold rain and snow! It can happen, you just adjust plans accordingly. It is one of the most spectacular areas of the world and can be enjoyed in any weather.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 10:45 AM

I am just back from 2 weeks in the Crowsnest and 5 hellish days without power. Despite reports from the power companies that only 100 people remained without power, in fact it was more like 1600. Fortunately, most of it has been restored but on a limited supply basis, a temporary basis really, until they can once again get the towers up.

That being said, it wasn't all that cold, in fact, after the snow, quite balmy. And the good news for you is that after tomorrow (16th), the weather is supposed to be quite nice for a week or so.

On another positive note, we seldom see the northern lights in the Pass but this week, they were amazing, lighting up the sky for hours. So, there is a plus to every negative.

Even though you aren't that "fit" as you say, you shouldn't experience any problems. There should be short hikes you can do without difficulty. I am not sure about Banff/Jasper but I don't think that they experienced the storm that we had in the Crowsnest.

Hopefully, your trip will be wonderful and look at the sky in the late evening, early morning. It might be the highlight of your trip.