Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

will we starve while waiting for ferry to Vancouver Island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 04:51 AM
Catherine

I remember the ferry has a cafeteria on board, but is there anywhere to get a snack or cold drink while waiting at the ferry terminal to go to Vancouver Island?

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:02 AM
gary

Yes but it's basic, basic, basic. If you're really sure you're going to be hungry during your wait I reccomend that you pack some snacks for yourself and just buy cold drinks.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Brian Kilgore

Ferries go from the mainland to Vancouver Island from several departure points.<BR><BR>If you leave from Horseshoe Bay, you are right beside the downtown of this tiny town, and you can go to a restaurnt and, if things are like they used to be, buy extremely good lemon pie to eat while waiting for the boat.<BR><BR>The fish and chips used to be great and probably still is, but there's no point on filling up with this and not having room for the pie.<BR><BR>BAK<BR><BR>

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Catherine

Thanks, Gary.<BR>I was just checking.After reading about the delays recently I wasn't sure what to do because I certainly don't feel like finding a grocery store to buy water and kids snacks while rushing from hotel to rental car agency to ferry!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Catherine

Hi Brian,<BR>Thanks, I guess you were writing at the same time as me!<BR>I think we leave from Twassen (sp) to Duke Point, or something like that. (My info is at home)<BR><BR>And to fill you all in on why I've been obsessing about this trip....<BR>The first and only time I was on the ferry/in BC was when my stepfather died and I went to see my mom. Between the emotional upset and the jet lag, I don't remember much about the trip except thinking the ferry food wasn't too bad (!) and pacing around the decks in howling wind smoking furiously and trying not to cry. So this trip with my family is very important in a lot of ways, I want to show them the beauty of Canada and see my mom's home under happier circumstances, etc.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Robyn

I was at the Tsawwassen ferry terminal last week, however I was a walk-on passenger where the luxuries we had in the walk-on waiting room were vending machines! Haha... but I do recall the main ferry terminal building has some sort of snack shop.<BR><BR>The ferries have cafeterias, White Spot restaurants, snack shops... and I even think the newer, larger vessels have buffet restaurants (although I've never eaten there). Just to let you know!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 11:54 AM
April

If you're that concerned, you could, as much as I detest it, fork out the extra $$ for a ferry reservation.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:28 PM
cindy

Catherine - I just got back from BC. The reason there have been so many delays recently on the Tsawwassen-Duke Point route is that one of the ships had developed mechanical problems and they had to cancel a bunch of sailings. It's back in operation now and things seem to be moving right along. Making a reservation wouldn't really have solved that problem, but it mightn't be a bad idea now if you're concerned. I hope your trip works out well - BC is glorious right now, although they could use a little rain.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Artemis

The Tswassen ferry terminal has a fair-sized cafeteria serving sandwiches, pizza, hot dogs, etc. and a full range of drinks. They also have the requisite vending machines. You won't starve. You will, however, pay too much.