Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver to Vancouver Island - which is the most scenic ferry?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling to Vancouver area in mid-Sept. Have reservations on Vancouver Island for the 13th, at Monday. What would be the most scenic ferry? Would a Monday afternoon ferry have a long wait? Are reservations worth it?
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 04:55 PM
BAK

I like to go from Horseshoe Bay onthe nortgh side of Vancouver, and return from Sidney, at the south end of the island.

This gives me scenic drive to the ferry and then to Victoria, plus a staightforward drive totheferry and then fromthe ferry back to the city, in the e4vening, with the taffic reduced.
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 05:13 PM

The ferry Tsawwassen to Sidney is the most scenic one. No need for reservation, ferries leave up to once an hour! Or, if you are planning to do a round trip, at the toll booth, ask the operator for a circlepac. http://www.bcferries.com/travel_planning/circlepac/
Have fun!
Svenn
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 07:17 PM

Last week I took the ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay, and returned from Duke Point in Nanaimo to Tsawwassen (we wondered if traveling from Departure Bay in Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay north of Vancouver would have been more efficient). Both routes were equally scenic, but on the first leg we saw orca, seals, and a porpoise. None of the ferries can be reached without a car or some type of transport.

We made reservations for both trips and found it to be worth the $15 extra (per reservation). We arrived 90 minutes early for our first ferry and tried to go standby on the earlier boat, but it filled up and we did not get on. If you travel standby, plan on arriving at least 1 hour early.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 07:39 AM

The ferries can actually be reached by bus from downtown Vancouver. I know there's one that goes to Victoria and one to Nanaimo - have a look at the Pacific Coach Lines website.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

I'll have a car so that's not an issue. Thanks so much for your advice!