good or bad !!!???

Search

good or bad !!!???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good or bad !!!???

travelling to toronto/canada for the 1st time in october, need to know a little about our proposed hotel!! toronto plaza( formerly ramada plaza) what's it like? has anyone been recently? have read a few odd reports! are we close enough to downtown( within 20/30 minutes, will we be in an area with good public transport access?/
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 03:10 PM
BAK

This is the old Beverley Hills Hotel, and I cannot think of one good reason a tourist would stay there, unless every decent hotel in the city is sold out.

It's a fine location for business travellers with appointments in the neighborhood, and its a fine location for some families attending weddings in the neighborhood.

But other than that, it is pretty much nowhere toruists want to be.

There's a Yahoo travel sitge with hotel info that is wrong, too. It is nowhere near the entertainment district andthe museum of television, for instance.

Forty years ago this hotel was a client of mine; I used to live a mile from it; I used to work just down the street. It is not a place you want to be, especially with a six yeaqr old on a special holiday.

You'll need a car to get anywhere, and it's not an easy drive, no matter where.
BAK

Old Sep 27th, 2004, 03:28 PM

Hi
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have never heard of the Museum of Television (I have been to every Toronto tourist site on the web!) Is this something I should want to see - or is there a reason I have never heard of it?
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 05:26 PM
BAK

The Museum of Television was started by Moses Znaimer, founder of CITY-TV, and is located inside the CHUM-CITY store on Queen Street West, about a block from the CITY TV headquarters building.

From the sidewalk, it looks like a store seloling souvenirs, but the museum is quite serious.

This past summer, a young woman from Provence worked there as an intern, and told me it was an excellent place to work, with nice people, and she would like to move back to Toronto.

I do not know the admission rates.

BAK
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

thanks bak! i think my mind is made up now--- have got to cancel reservation at this hotel! now considering hilton toronto- have you any views on this hotel?? basically am now looking for a hotel with swimming pool(indoor)approx cd$100/120 per night--- any info gratefully recieved--
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 01:12 PM
BAK

The real Hilton Toronto? Downtown, on Richmond Street West at University Avenue?

Not some suburban Hilton, of which thre are many?

Yes, the downtown Hilton hotel is a fine choice, as are lots of other hotels downtown.

The Hilton is two blocks from a ginat shoppingcenter (Eaton Centre), a block from the subway, ten minutes from the National Filmn Baord $5 animation class ont he weekend for the kid, close (walking distance) to dozens of good restaurants, etc.

So is tghe Sheraton Center, the Eaton Center Marriott, the Holiday Inn on king, the Intercontinental on Front Street, the Fairmont Royal york, and more.

The Hilton pool is indoor-outdoor, and the girl will think it is fun.

And it is a short walk to the television museum, if you want.

BAK
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 04:51 AM

And don't forget the Delta Chelsea (not one of my usual recommendations, but doesn't it have an indoor waterslide, which is fairly unusual for a downtown hotel)?

Has anyone stayed at the Hilton or Sheraton recently who can advise on whether the construction next door (they're building a new opera house) is a problem as far as noise goes? I've recommended these hotels to a number of people, and no one has mentioned noise, but it would be useful to hear from people who've stayed there recently.
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

thanks all for info!! especially BAK, yes i like the down-town hilton but i have had many conflicting price-ranges for this hotel from various sites, where is best for really checking prices
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 12:35 PM

Oh thank goodness BAK saw your post and advised you to change hotels. I haven't heard the name 'Beverley HIlls hotel' in years and didn't even know it was still around under ANY name! You really did the right thing cancelling that reservation. The area is nowhere near where a tourist want to be.

Enjoy Toronto.