Single in Toronto

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single in Toronto

I hope to travel from Philadelphia to Toronto in late April/early May. I'm thinking of a 4-day weekend for some much needed R & R. Since I'll be alone, location is more of consideration than it might be if I was with a group. Are there any areas/hotels that you'd recommend for a single woman? Anyplace that I should avoid? My hotel budget allows for US$150-200/night and my interests are those of the typical vacationer (e.g., museums, shopping, local sites of interest, etc). Thanks.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 01:10 PM

I like the Sheraton Centre. I have always felt safe there. It is connected underground to The Bay and the Eaton Centre, both really good places to shop. It's also centrally located and you can walk down Queen St. to shop as well. They have a website you can check out. The Art Gallery of Ontario is a nice place to visit and has a great gift shop. There are a lost of postings on this site about things to do in Toronto.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 10:12 AM

The Royal York Hotel, The King Edward, the Metropolitan and the Novotel are all safe bets too. The first two may be within or beyond your budget but are both close (walking distance) to many downtown attractions that you may feel more comfortable exploring on your own, such as the theatre(s), the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM), The Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO), The Toronto Symphony at Roy Thompson Hall, scores of good restaurants, shopping and of course, the CN Tower and the Toronto Islands and waterfront. The third hotel is slightly less expensive yet chic and is located on the edge of Chinatown (wonderful food and experience on a Saturday morning). The last hotel is near the first 2 and also puts you close to Front Street and the St. Lawrence Market. A short subway ride (very safe) from all will take you to Bloor Street and University Avenue where you will find several museums (Bata shoe museum, Museum of Ceramics, to name 2) as well as great shopping.
Have fun in our wonderful city.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations. I feel like more of an educated consumer now!
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 03:40 AM
jpf

Try www.journeywoman.com which provides suggestions for women traveling solo.

My husband, 17 year old son and I just spent a long weekend in Toronto, staying at the Quality Inn on Bloor which is recommended on their site. The hotel offers no amenities but was clean, quiet, and located near the subway, ROM, Bata Museum and shopping.

Enjoy your visit. It's a wonderful city.

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 11:49 AM

I would recommend staying away from the hotels that are more than half a block East of Bloor and South of Yonge St. They're not dangerous, but the neighbourhoods are sometimes a little seedy and you might feel more comfortable the neighbourhoods suggested above.

The Quality Inn on Bloor St W (the "W" is important) is a very good choice for a budget solo female traveller. You'll be a few blocks away from upscale Yorkville (for window-shopping) and in the middle of the university district (called the Annex): lots of people around at all hours (so you'll feel safe), great cafes, bookstores, people-watching etc, close to museums (including the Bata Shoe Museum - to which all women should make a pilgrimage at least once in their lives); and close to the subway system.

I don't know what the rates are like right now, but check out the hotel, Le Germain, on Mercer Street, if you want to splurge a little and stay in a trendy hotel. It's in the entertainment district, near good shopping, theatres, restaurants etc.

Shopping tips: Price Roman (terrific dressy day and evening clothes by a local designer) on Queen St W; Holt Renfrew (Canada's version of Bloomingdales) - with good private label clothes as well as Canadian and international designers; and Femme de Carriere (a chain which carries good suits and other work clothes).