Travel to Toronto in May

Mar 18th, 2004, 10:39 AM
lao
Original Poster

Travel to Toronto in May

My husband and I will be traveling to Toronto in May and are currently looking for a nice hotel to stay in. What are anyone's thoughts on the following: Toronto Intercontinental, Marriott Eaton Centre or the Marriott - Bloor, and the LeMeridien King Edward. We are trying to stay in the $150 US range. Thanks in advance to your responses.
Mar 18th, 2004, 02:28 PM

Of those, the Intercontinental is the nicest. It is in the Yorkville area - an upscale shopping district with some nice restaurants nearby. The Meridien is a very old hotel and is really showing its age. It's also not that central. The 2 Marriott's are not as nice but still ok.
Mar 18th, 2004, 02:31 PM
BAK

There are two Intercontinentals in Toronto, one on Bloor Street and one on Front Street.

The hotels are pretty much a toss-up. King Eddy is fanciest.

Location really is the factor, and all are well located, just in different parts of town.

If it was me, I'd pick the Marriott Bloor and go to Yorkville and shop and visit commercial art galleries, and visit the Royal Ontatrio Museum.

But all are in interesting places, and it does not matter.

(The Intercontinental on Front used to be the Crowne Plaza, if you see it on travel web sites, etc.)

BAK
Mar 18th, 2004, 03:41 PM
lao
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. I'm looking forward to our trip - it's been 17 years since we've been there, so I'm sure it has changed. Thanks again.
Mar 18th, 2004, 03:45 PM

King Eddy was great last time we stayed there , which was 2 months ago. Room was spacious. However location is not the best in terms of being quiet at night not much activity adjacent to hotel., altho it is not far too walk to Jonge street, which I find is always busy, people never seem to go home even at 1.30 am on a Sat. it is humming. Personally I think Bloor street is lively during day, lots of good shopping and at night as well and would choose hotel in this location. If you are here to shop in a mall setting, then to be adjacent to Eaton centre is great, again for me Bloor street has more designer stores as well as some of the regular stores you would find in the malls. In addition the ROM (museum), which is worth a visit is also close by, walkable, nice coffee shops, restaurants and just a wonderful sense of liveliness. Enjoy your trip , have you looked at the TO tourism website where packages are available with accomodation, theatre tickets , dinner and either a sports event or admission to Casa Loma, another nice place to see. These packages are really good value and are different in price depending on hotel you choose. No, I do not work for tourism Toronto, but I do love visiting this vibrant city which is just an hour away from my door and we go every oppotinity we get.
Mar 19th, 2004, 09:14 AM
JMM

I would recommend a hotel on or near Bloor St and Avenue Rd. because:
1. There is a lot of stuff in the immediate vicinity (ROM, University of Toronto, Queen's Park)
2. It is an interesting area at night and in the day (university students and upscale shoppers, Yorkville, and lots of restaurants)
3. You are near several subway stations (St. George, Bay St., etc)