Whistler questions

Search

Whistler questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whistler questions

I am unfamiliar with the area and am trying to choose accomodations that are very convenient to lifts, family-friendly and large enough for two adults and 4-5 kids. Any suggestions? I would like at least a hot tub in the complex. A pool would be even better - but not necessary.

Also, some of the condos that are not right in the village - such as Northstar - look nice, but an 8 minute walk with skis would be a pain and inconvenient. Does Whistler offer the option of checking your skis at the base?
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 11:38 AM

Most of the condos in the village are life-convenient and most have hot tubs.

Re not wanting to walk 8 minutes in your ski boots, Whistler has a great bus system that will take you, skis and all, to the lifts.

I used to live in Northstar, and there is a bus right there to take you the 5 minutes to the lift.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 07:49 PM
ALF

There indeed is a ski check at the base of Whistler, right near the Excalibur lift. It is convenient, but expensive.

We have not stayed at Northstar, but have stayed right next door at the Market Pavilion lodge. Yes, it is walkable, about 5 blocks, but at the end of the day, that does feel like a long way to walk in ski boots. We have found that the best thing to do is load everyone into the van and drive the short distance on Glacier Drive to the parking lot above the Blackcomb Day Lodge (most skiers park in the Day Lodge lot, but it is less crowded and closer to the slopes in the lot above the Day Lodge). This parking lot is right next to the Excalibur mid-station, where you have the choice of going to either Blackcomb or Whistler. At the end of the day, you can ski to the lot from Blackcomb or take the Excalibur from Whistler. We have found this to be a great choice, particularly with little kids, who do not want to walk far with their skis.

I would also suggest that you look instead at the Upper Village. There are all sorts of ski-in, ski-out places there, that, in my opinion, are much more convenient than Village North locations like Northstar. My favorites are The Aspens, Geystone, and Woodrun. All have 2-3 bedroom condos with kitchens that would be great for your family. They are slopeside on Blackcomb. Put your skis on, then it is a quick run to the Blackcomb Base, and then on up the mountain. If you prefer to ski Whistler, there is a little chairlift (Magic Chair) that brings you to an access run to the Whistler base. At the end of the day, get off at the Excalibur mid-station, and it is a very short run back to these lodges.

Other good choices would be Pinnacle Ridge, Cedar Ridge, and Snowy Creek. These all are on or near Blackcomb slopes too.

The only downside to all of the above is that it is a few blocks to get to the Village if you want to walk around at night or for dinner. The Magic Chair runs longer than all the other lifts, so you could use it to get back to your accomodations if you have an early dinner out.

Here is a map of accomodations:
http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/acc.../map/index.htm

Lastly, check out Allura Direct for good deals on condos. They serve as a broker for individuals who own condos, and want to rent them:
http://www.alluradirect.com/whistler-condos-rental.cfm
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 06:45 AM
ALF

The Aspens and Greystone have nice outdoor pools and hot tubs. I think that Woodrun only has a hot tub.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 10:35 AM

I stayed at Snowy Creek (#36 on the map that ALF posted) a few years back with a group of about 8 people, and we really liked it. It was just a short walk to the lifts and to the Village for dinner, but nice and quiet (noise can be a problem if you stay right in the Village, I've found). The condo we were in had a great hot tub right in the condo.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 11:18 AM

This Christmas season our family is staying at the Mountainside Lodge. We've stayed there twice before. Right in the village, chairs are practically right outside our door, outdoor hot tub and pool, good value. We've also stayed at the Tantalus, a 10 min. walk to chairs or take their free shuttle bus and then walk a few minutes. Great sized 2 bedroom suites, outdoor hot tub and pool, but horrendously priced for this Xmas season.