Whistler in Mid October???

Oct 2nd, 2007, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Whistler in Mid October???

My wife and I will be traveling to Whistler for 6 nights beginning on October 19th. I have visited several web sites and I'm still trying to build a list of things to do and see. It appears as if from my readings that I'll be their during a not so busy time as golf is over with and skiing has yet to start. I'm really looking forward to the Sea-to-Sky drive but don't have a clue what to do at that time of year once we hit Whistler.

Any recommendations on day time activities would be very helpful. I will have a car so driving someplace is not a problem. Maybe a nice place to spend the day outside with great views for a picnic. Also any dinner suggestions would be very helpful. We will be spending one full day in Vancouver. What is the best way to see and enjoy the city with only 1 day? Can you go whale watching in late October?

Thanks to whoever can help.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 06:38 PM

Local WW companies are advertising that they'll keep running tours until Oct 31 but don't count on it-they'll have a minimum count and unless the weather is glorious few people will want to brave a rough/cold/wet trip across Georgia Strait.

All you can do is phone the day before you want to go.

IMO you're really shorting Vancouver with just a day, again unless weather is dry and glorious the mountains won't be conducive to picnicking or hiking at all.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 11:57 PM

Seconding Sam.
Unless the weather turns freakishly good, cut the Whistler experience down to an overnighter and spend the rest at lower elevations, eg. Vancouver.
Tomorrows forcast for Whistler is plus 7 with rain.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:37 AM
ltt

i'd spend at least 2 nights in whistler - if the weather is good, and it could be, 3 would be plenty for me. there is a lot of great biking in the area. the sea to sky highway is nice BUT, they are doing a lot of work on it as they are doubling the lanes. i was there in the summer and a gentleman who does that route often said it took him an extra 1 1/2 hours this time. it took my sister, 3 1/2 hours to go from whistler to vancouver.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for their comments. I'm pretty locked in to Whistler for at least 5 nights. I had to use a week of my time share by the end of the month and my wife and I just wanted a place to go get away where we can enjoy the scenery and each others company. So in other words, my accomodations are paid for for a full week. Were going to bite the bullet and pay for a nights stay in Vancouver even though the condo is paid for a week.

I'm sure we will enjoy the dining experience that Whistler has to offer and being in our late 30's I'm sure we will enjoy the night life a few of the nights too. Our their any state parks or neat towns where we can spend 1/2 days at within a 1 hour drive of Whistler. I just received my visitor's information from Whistler Tourism and they seem to promote only activities that require cash. I spent 4 days in Bar Harbor Maine last year and spent all 4 days in a beautiful state park hiking and things like that for $15.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 02:01 PM
ltt

whistler is an expensive area. when we were there in august mid week, there was not much in the way of nightlife. i was hoping for some live bands in pubs but nothing much.
if it's a nice day and you just want to get away for a bit, you could take the drive down to lilloette. it is very pretty as long as it's clear enough to enjoy the views. might be a good picnic day.
have you checked out http://www.garibaldipark.com/
http://www.district.squamish.bc.ca/
Oct 7th, 2007, 11:21 PM

You can find nice condos for rent in whistler village on this website www.whistlerluxurycondos.com
Oct 8th, 2007, 01:43 AM

Brandywine falls is a provincial park on the way to Whistler from Vancouver. There are free trails around the valley in Whistler for walking or biking. It is totally weather dependant though. Check out the forecasts here.
http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/..._metric_e.html
Bring good outdoor wet weather clothing and good spirits.
ps. search for provincial parks, not state parks.