Whistler in Jan for non-skiier??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friends want to go to Whistler in Jan for 7 days. They are snowboarding for 5 days. I'm just learning to board so I will only want to board for a couple of days- my body will be too sore!! What else is there to do in Whistler besides ski & board?? Any suggestions- or should I forego this trip??
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 01:10 PM

I wouldn't skip out on the trip!

Whistler doesn't have night skiing or boarding, so even your advaned snowboarding friends will have to find something else to do after 3pm.

Whistler has tons of restaurants, pubs, clubs, boutiques and galleries to explore - it's like a city.

You can always take the bus to Vancouver for the day to explore or go shopping as well. The ride takes about 2 hours, one way.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 08:30 AM

I'm in your boat too, Chele - try a guided cross-country ski or snowshoe tour, lie abed late, soak in the jacuzzi, read, and always join your friends for apres-ski at 4'ish. Perfect!
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 06:45 AM

I don't ski either but I like it there. Relax, enjoy. Go to a movie. Shop. Eat. Read. Luxuriate in the knowledge that you're sitting by the fire with a drink and a good book while your friends are freezing in the outdoors.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions - and the support. At least I won't be the only non skiier in Whistler!
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 06:31 PM

I just drove up to Whistler for a couple of hours 8 days ago and had never been before.

The area is so compact that you'll be able to find lots of shopping and eateries of considerable size in an easy-to-get-to area.

Make no mistake about the fact that it will be the harsh Canadian winter but as long as you're properly attired you'll find plenty to do while your friends are snowboarding.

Have fun!

Old Nov 9th, 2004, 06:42 PM

Actually, Whistler doesn't really get "harsh Canadian winter". For that, you have to go further inland or east.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 09:15 PM

For "harsh Canadian winter", visit Winnipeg or Quebec City in February. Toronto has mild winters (no need to plug the car in here) while Vancouver and Victoria may escape the entire season without snow but experience plenty of rain.

There is nothing finer than standing atop Whistler Mountain in January when it's -2C out, the sun is shining and the mountain vistas are incredible.